Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lager Carbonating - room temp or lager temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
DrJekyll-HomeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Lager Carbonating - room temp or lager temp?

i am going to do two lagers in the next week and i wanted to know when using bottling sugar with bottles will they become carbonated properly at room temperature or at the temperature they were fermented at. if you have them at room temp will this create off flavors or change it? when bottling a lager should you use less priming sugar than a ale recipe (ie 5oz)?

Been brewing since 2007 and my knowledge is ever growing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
snowbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

They will carbonate faster at higher temperature. Since the amount of sugar that is being fermented for carbonation is very small compared to the overall beer volume, it doesn't impact the flavor. Actually, many breweries use a lager strain to carbonate the ales if it is a long aged beer or they want to protect their proprietary strain of ale yeast.

I would assume the sugar amount should be the same, assuming the yeast you are using attenuates the same as ale yeasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply