Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lager #2: Refresh my Memory re: Diacetyl Rest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lager #2: Refresh my Memory re: Diacetyl Rest

This is my 2nd lager, a bock. My first one was a pilsner. It went from like 1.050 to 1.010 in 2 days, so I never had time to do a diacetyl rest on it. I came into it expecting a 2 week ferment time, so I was caught off-guard by such a quick finish. I was using Wyeast Bohemian lager yeast, which I harvested from that batch, made a big starter (that was KICKIN by the time I pitched), and used it for this bock. The bock is on day 2 of fermentation right now. The krausen is all the way up to the cap, and the bubbles are better than 1 per sec. Carboy temp is 52.

Wyeast's description says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyeast
Benefits from diacetyl rest at 58 F (14 C) for 24 hours after fermentation is complete.
So what do I do here? Do I wait until the krausen falls? Or just until airlock activity has subsided? Then, just raise the temp to 58 for 24 hrs, then drop it back down slowly to lagering temps? Gimme your suggestions...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do the latter. I actually wait until fermentation has subsided, then raise the temp for a couple of days, then back to the cold!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
poguemahone

Recipes 

i gave mine a rest after about 7 days but my fermentation did the same as yours.

super fast drop in the first two days which caught me a bit off guard. i pulled it out to 65 degrees and moved to secondary about .002 from where my FG target was.

Conditioning Keg 2:
Conditioning Keg 3:
Kegerator Tap 1: Dry Stout
Kegerator Tap 2: Six Malt Amber Ale
Kegerator Tap 2: Optimator Lager
Just Finished: Dry Stout

Quick Reply