The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Krausen to the ceiling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
JayMckeever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Krausen to the ceiling

Well, I have had my Delirium Tremens in the primary for a week, and everything was going good. I had a bubbles about every second for most of the time. I wake up this morning and check on it and the krausen had risen and flew out of the air lock.My question is, should i just let it calm down or put it in a secondary? Also, I got it from austin home brew, and it came with a 1% alcohal boost. When should i put that in?

Last edited by JayMckeever; 12-18-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I would not move it as it is actively fermenting. If you do not have a blow off tube and use a plastic bucket just set the lid loosely on the top. It will let CO2 out without blowing off the airlock or lid. Once it calms down then you can secure the lid tighter. I have never used the alcohol boost from Austin but was under impression that it was corn sugar and should be added to the boil.

Gary

Old 12-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
JayMckeever
Recipes 

Ill try that. Right now i have it sitting in the second bathroom's tub. I had to light a candle because of the awful smell. As far as the boost, looks like i'll have 2% to add to the next batch! thanks for the quick reply!

Old 12-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
texasgeorge

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can just boil the alcohol boost in water for about 15 minutes and add it into your primary. Seems like there's enough yeast to work on it too

Bottled & Conditioning: Michael Richards' NOT Racist Ale
Best of 2006: All Saints' IPA, Six-Malt Amber Ale, McClelland's Irish Red Ale
On Deck: English Honey Bitter, Chocolate Stout, House Pale Ale

Old 12-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

No reason to not add the boost as TG suggested. Sounds like you might have to make up a little volume anyway.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-20-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
JayMckeever
Recipes 

has anyone ever brewed the delerium tremens clone from austin home brew? i just transferred this to a secondary. I must say, it has probably the worst smell ever to it. Nothing like in the bottles you can buy. Will this clear up? The color looks fine, but with that smell i am scared to taste it!

Old 12-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMckeever
has anyone ever brewed the delerium tremens clone from austin home brew? i just transferred this to a secondary. I must say, it has probably the worst smell ever to it. Nothing like in the bottles you can buy. Will this clear up? The color looks fine, but with that smell i am scared to taste it!
Considering that a "smell" can tell you exactly whats going on with a brew - "the worst smell ever" is about as vague as you can get...

Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 AM   #8
JayMckeever
Recipes 

well, it's been lesson learned here. This beer has been in bottles for almost 2 weeks. I just opened one up and it tastes better than what you can buy in stores!!!! This was only my 2nd brew... and needless to say from the outcome of this one that I am more than eager to order another kit from austinhomebrew!

MUST HAVE PATIENCE!!!!!

Quick Reply