Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Kolsch lagering times

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Default Kolsch lagering times

I'm making a kolsch this morning, and I'm just curious as to how long it needs to set in the secondary. I've read that they need to lager for longer than the average ale.

FWIW:

4 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds Wheat DME
.5 pounds Caramel 10 (for 20 mins at about 160-180)

1 oz Northern Brewers @ 60
.25 oz Spaltz @ 20
.75 oz Spaltz @ EOB

Wyeast Kolsch Yeast

Last edited by Cheesefood; 09-05-2005 at 03:02 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The recipe I'm using for the Kolsch I'm brewing tomorrow calls for 7days in primary and then 6weeks in secondary. Depending on what strain of yeast you are using it may not need to be lagered. I am using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch and it needs to ferment at 65 to 69 deg F.

What does your recipe look like? I'd like to compare it to mine.
12oz German Munich Malt steeped and sparged
4.25 lbs Xlite DME
1.5lbs Wheat DME
1.5oz Tettnanger bittering
1/2oz Spalt flavoring
1/4oz Spalt aroma
1/4oz Czech Saaz aroma

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 09-05-2005, 02:59 AM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Street Brewery
Look up. The recipe is in my first post. The HBS guy helped me come up with it. He's a big Kolsch fan.

6 weeks, eh? Guess it will be a while before I create my next batch. How long are you going to bottle condition your Kolsch?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:15 AM   #4
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Doh and I wasn't even drinking yet.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 09-05-2005, 03:40 AM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Doh and I wasn't even drinking yet.
I did some looking, and I can't find anything that says Kolsch needs to be in the 2nd for more than 3 weeks. Your recipe calls for 6? I imagine it's gotta be good, but how much of that resting time will really help?

I'm going to rack to 2nd in a week, let it sit in the 2nd for 3 weeks, check S.G. and if it's a reasonable number, bottle. BTW, what's your projected O.G.? I got about 1.060, but I'm not sure what my temp was. I poured the hot wort into a carb filled with cool water and ice cubes, then put more cool water on top of it. My hydro tube is bent (note: keep them out of the dishwasher) so I had to sanitize the hydro and throw it in the bucket for a reading.

I was patient this time with the yeast and let it sit out for about 21 hours after smacking the pack. It didn't do anything last night, but this morning when i got up the pack was all filled out. The yeast smelled really good and was nice and foamy.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 09-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
The recipe I'm using for the Kolsch I'm brewing tomorrow calls for 7days in primary and then 6weeks in secondary. Depending on what strain of yeast you are using it may not need to be lagered. I am using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch and it needs to ferment at 65 to 69 deg F.

12oz German Munich Malt steeped and sparged
4.25 lbs Xlite DME
1.5lbs Wheat DME
1.5oz Tettnanger bittering
1/2oz Spalt flavoring
1/4oz Spalt aroma
1/4oz Czech Saaz aroma
I see you have it in the Primary, so may I ask for your initial thoughts on the Kolsch? Are you still going to keep it in your 2nd for 6 weeks?

I just racked to 2nd today. I was pleased by how little trub was at the bottom of the bucket when I was done. I had purchased a finely meshed flat strainer from Target that rests nicely on the top of the bucket and caught most of the trub when I dumped it into my primary. I dumped a little at a time because the trub would fill the screen and I didn't want any running over into the bucket, then I would rinse off the screen and pour more through it. Our water here is really good, so I'm not too worried about water-borne contaminants getting on the screen.

Anyway, I left about 1/4 gallon in the primary after racking because the remnants were a slurry of spent yeast and the still-live yeast hanging out on the top. I'm assuming there's enough still-live yeast left in the beer the re-populate the surface. I then topped it up with some fresh water, which barely effected the S.G. It was 1.022 prior to adding water and about 1.020 afterwards. Pretty good, considering the O.G. was about 1.065.

It smelled great and looked great. I'd like to hear how yours is going.

Cool Shirts.

Last edited by Cheesefood; 09-11-2005 at 04:10 PM.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll be racking mine to the secondary this afternoon when I get home from work. I'm not sure if I'll leave it in the secondary for the whole 6wks, I put that in because that was how the recipe read. I've got little activity in the airlock at this point. I'll take a gravity reading when I rack, not sure what my OG was.

Old 09-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #8
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

4-6 weeks is about right for a Kolsch or Alt. primary fermentation should take 10-14 days (if fermented at the recomended temp, warmer temps will ferment faster), then do a nice diacetyl rest @ 68 degrees for 2-3 days, rack, then lower the temp by 2 degrees or so a day until you reach 30-32 degrees. let sit for 4-6 weeks @ 30-32 degrees. bottle or keg and enjoy! you don't have to follow that exactly, but that's usually the schedule (for lagers too!). results in a clean, crisp kolsch.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 09-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know about Cheese but I'm using White labs WLP029 and on thier website it says that it doesn't ferment well below 62deg F. Would you still suggest lagering it after it is done in the primary?

Old 09-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #10
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

well, remember that fermenting and lagering are two different phases of the brew process. lagering is the cold conditioning of a brew w/ lager yeast. let it ferment at the suggested temp range, then when it's finished, just rack it, and get it as cold as you possibly can for at least 4 weeks. what are you using to "lager" the kolsch in? if it's just in a fridge, just lower the temp setting as low as it will go. if you don't have the ability to get it down to 30-32, maybe let it sit a week or two longer. it'll be fine......
i did my first kolsch like that. it fermented at about 70 degrees, then i racked it to secondary and put it in my keg fridge for 4 weeks. not quite true to style, but a very tasty brew. just had more fruit and diacetyl flavors. since, i have up graded equipment and techniques to allow for doing a true lager through all the stages. i just have to work on my patience!!!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply