Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Kettle caramelization vs. extract in barleywine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 717 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Kettle caramelization vs. extract in barleywine?

I'm tinkering with a barleywine recipe. My plan is to use a ton of Maris Otter, a long boil, and kettle caramelize the first 1.5 gallons or so. But it occurred to me that Northern Brewer has a Maris Otter syrup.

Isn't that just the same thing as what I'll get after kettle caramelization? In other words, can I just sub a quart of extract for the kettle caramelized wort?

My only concern is that I hear you get the long-chain, unfermentable sugars (I may be misusing terms there) from kettle caramelization and I don't know if the same thing happens when extract syrup is produced. Anyway, thanks all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
solavirtus
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I know the processes are different, but I don't know the impact on flavor. I would think it's noticeably different.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 717 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 50

That's what I figured. More tinkering!

Quick Reply