Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Kentucky Breakfast Stout Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
ivegot2legs
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Kentucky Breakfast Stout Recipe

I posted this in recipes/ingredients but got no responses. Trying one last time here before I buy ingredients tomorrow.

I have acquired a 15 gallon oak barrel, and I'll be using it to make a KBS. Eventually, this will turn into a documented process including equipment, construction, and process. But for now, I'm generating a recipe. I'm doing 3-six gallon batches to provide 18 gallons in a 20 gallon primary.

Recipe: Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Style: Imperial Stout

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.25 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.111 SG
Estimated FG: 1.031 SG
Estimated Color: 53.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 79.2 %
1 lbs 14.7 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.6 %
13.3 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.3 %
13.3 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.3 %
13.3 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.3 %
13.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.3 %
1.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 46.3 IBUs
1.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 8 14.5 IBUs
1.75 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 7.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast 10 -

Add 4oz 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate at 15 min remaining
Add 2 oz coarse ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
Add 2 oz (grounds) cold brewed Kona coffee in secondary barrel
Add 2 oz whole roasted beans of Kona coffee in secondary barrel

Total Grain Weight: 25 lbs 3.9 oz
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, 155.0 F, 60 min.

Primary fermentation at 65F for 4 weeks
Secondary fermentation in bourbon barrel for 4 weeks (based on tasting)

The questions I have to you folks:
Any opinions on using 100% Cacao at 15 minutes? The only ingredient is unsweetened chocolate, is this the same as using cacao nibs? Some folks are critical of using chocolate in the boil too.

Should I use coffee at flameout? I would typically only use coffee as a secondary as a cold brewed option. But I've done something similar to this before, and it came out well. I think the residual sweetness, barrel aging, and other flavours of the beer will make it work.

Is Irish Ale yeast ideal for this application? It's the only White Labs product that came close to the intended FG of 1.030. I normally use California ale yeast for everything, but I've found it finishes stouts way too dry. Of course, I will make a large starter.

I might make 5 gallons of this a Canadian Breakfast Stout by using maple syrup to bottle prime. Northern Brewer has this information in the priming calculator. Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks for any help you can provide, and hopefully this can lead to a definitive KBS clone recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
volsfan5012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kbs

I have made a KBS clone similar.
Add the cocoa nibs in the secondary.
I used Cally V yeast and it turned out good.
I added some (very small amount) of lactose to the priming sugar at bottling to give a little of the body back.
I also left mine on the barrel for 90 days. We had a bottle after storage for 2+ years and it was still good, but the BBL flavor had deminished.
I also remember the dark malt (roasted barley or black patent) was 20 ounces, FWIW.
Good Luck

Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
ivegot2legs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan5012
I have made a KBS clone similar. Add the cocoa nibs in the secondary. I used Cally V yeast and it turned out good. I added some (very small amount) of lactose to the priming sugar at bottling to give a little of the body back. I also left mine on the barrel for 90 days. We had a bottle after storage for 2+ years and it was still good, but the BBL flavor had deminished. I also remember the dark malt (roasted barley or black patent) was 20 ounces, FWIW. Good Luck
I'm glad someone finally had something to say.

Are your numbers based on a 5 gallon batch? And how big was your barrel?

I'm going to stick with the Irish ale yeast, it is supposed to be the best for this type of beer.

Also, I've been able to get cocoa paste, which is supposed to be the raw chocolate flavour used in making chocolate dishes. I used nibs (and a lot of them) in a much smaller stout and didn't get much chocolate.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
volsfan5012
Recipes 

I made a 5.5 gallon batch. The barrel was 6.5 gallons.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
biggmatt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did nb's chocolate milk stout kit. it called for the cocoa nibs two weeks before bottling. Turned out real nice. The trub tasted like chocolate covered expresso beans.

Cocoa powder is just ground nibs. Shouldn't make a difference.

Next time I do a breakfast stout I am going to use belgian cocoa powder

Brewing is an art. Not a science.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
ivegot2legs
Recipes 

I just didn't get a whole lot out of the nibs. It seems akin to adding whole roasted coffee beans to room temp water for 2 weeks. Without temperature or surface area, you won't extract much flavour.

The step after cocoa nibs is chocolate liqueur or chocolate paste. It is supposed to have the most chocolate taste possible. Cocoa powder is a derivative of liqueur, with less chocolate mass.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1151 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegot2legs View Post
Add 4oz 100% Cacao Unsweetened Chocolate at 15 min remaining
Add 2 oz coarse ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
Add 2 oz (grounds) cold brewed Kona coffee in secondary barrel
Add 2 oz whole roasted beans of Kona coffee in secondary barrel
That is a lot of coffee. I did a founders breakfast stout clone and added 2 oz at flameout, well after I chilled to 197-200 degreesish for about 5 minutes, then chilled down to pitching temps. After fermentation I added 2 oz of grounds as a dry hop and the coffee flavor was very pronounced. If that is not enough coffee for you I would at least crack the whole beans. I hope you like coffee.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
ivegot2legs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon
That is a lot of coffee. I did a founders breakfast stout clone and added 2 oz at flameout, well after I chilled to 197-200 degreesish for about 5 minutes, then chilled down to pitching temps. After fermentation I added 2 oz of grounds as a dry hop and the coffee flavor was very pronounced. If that is not enough coffee for you I would at least crack the whole beans. I hope you like coffee.
It is a good amount of coffee, but I am a big fan of coffee in beer. I also think the heavy flavours of chocolate, malt, bourbon, alcohol, and oak will stand up strongly to coffee.

In order to avoid the heat creating a bitter coffee flavour, I'm using cold extracted all the time. I have 2 oz steeping in cold water right now for a few days, which I will add post boil, at about 170 degrees. This will avoid the bitter effect, excess oils, and still provide pasteurization.

After barrel aging, I will test and perhaps add more cold extracted coffee at bottling, but skip the whole bean or ground coffee dry hop.

I seem to recall using 4 oz of grounds to make cold press coffee for another strong stout and it came out well. But after filling my press with coffee yesterday, seems that maybe it was more like 2-3 oz.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1151 Times on 852 Posts
Likes Given: 551

4oz is a lot. I hope it comes out good. If so I will be making some. You going to age it any or just drink it fresh?

Old 10-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
ivegot2legs
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon
4oz is a lot. I hope it comes out good. If so I will be making some. You going to age it any or just drink it fresh?
It seems like a lot. That's why I'm starting with 2 oz of grounds (for each 6 gallons) to be cold extracted and adding more from that.

It'll be fermented for probably 4 weeks in primary, and aged 4-8 weeks in the bourbon barrel. I bottle everything, and it should yield about 170 12-ounce bottles, which means some of it will be aged for a few years to come.

Quick Reply