The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Kegging/bottling a shandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDrgn View Post
Sorry for the confusion, let me back up a little. I am doing 5 beers for my wedding and I did them in 6 gallon batches so I keg 5 gallons and I bottle whatever is left ~1 gallon. All ingredients are mixed together in the bottling bucket prior to bottling/ kegging. Kegs are being force carbonated and the bottles are just getting priming sugar. I have already finished 3 of the beers and they have been force carbonated in the kegs and are just sitting in my basement. I check them all at least every few days to make sure they are still under pressure and they have ~30 PSI to them at room temperature.

LandoLincoln, what kind of ratio do you use when mixing lemonade to beer? The recipe I used said 3 gallons of beer to 2 gallons of lemonade but it does mention it was a bit sweet. Do you use any particular kind of lemonade? I was originally going to make the Chik fil a lemonade but I am starting to get on a time crunch and might decide to go a different route.
I've found that three parts beer to one part lemonade works best. And just skip the water for the lemonade concentrate. So for a 5 gallon batch of beer, you'd need enough concentrate that would normally make 1.6 gallons of lemonade. If you buy cans of lemonade concentrate that makes 64 ounces of lemonade, then you'd need to add about 3.2 cans of concentrate to your keg.

I've tried Minute Maid, but I've had better experiences with the Jewel-Osco store brand concentrate. Chik Fil A lemonade isn't concentrated, so you'd end up with some pretty watery lemon shandy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
AznDrgn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have you seen anything special in the ingredients of the Jewel-Osco brand vs Minute Maid? I don't have Jewel-Osco here in Va so I will need to source a substitute.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses!

Unfortunately I won't be able to refrigerate these kegs until Thursday but I have been force carbonating them at room temp so they should be ready to go as far as that. I don't like fake sweeteners and I don't have access to micron filters so it looks like I will need to kill off the yeast. I use Kmeta for wine, I assume that will work the same for beer? I'm still left with the question of weather the lemonade itself will need to be refrigerated once it is mixed with the beer?

LandoLincoln, The most important part is the kegging, the bottles were just going to be "thank you" gifts for people working the wedding.
Remember that k-meta doesn't kill wine yeast or ale yeast- that's why winemakers use sulfites as those yeast are tolerant of sulfites.

Sorbate doesn't kill yeast, either, but it inhibits yeast reproduction so once fermentation has stopped, and the beer (or wine) is clear, it can be racked off of the yeast and sorbate added. Then, fermentation won't restart (hopefully). It doesn't work very well with beer, because there is still of ton of yeast in suspension almost always except in something like a lager (or in the case of filtering).

Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 454 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Have you seen anything special in the ingredients of the Jewel-Osco brand vs Minute Maid? I don't have Jewel-Osco here in Va so I will need to source a substitute.
No, not really. I'd go to the local grocery store and find the non-name-brand lemonade concentrate and use that.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
ehope411
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts

I know you prefer lemonade vs. lemonade flavor, but for what it's worth I had good success recently with these ratios of beer to Kool Aid lemonade mix added at priming sugar flameout.

1 gal = 1.375 teaspoons
2 gal = 2.75
3 gal = 4.125
4 gal = 5.5
5 gal = 6.875

In truth, I only did a 2-gal batch and used that to figure the other volumes. I actually added more like 2.5 teaspoons b/c I wound up with less than 2-gal after leaving some on the trub. But it was right where I like it - more beer than lemonade.

Anyway, good luck. And congrats!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

With the wedding next week,it's too late for bottling. You need 3-4 weeks for that. And unsweetened lemonade with kegging would be better. you want it carbonated.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
AznDrgn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. Looks like I will be kegging and mixing with lemonade concentrate. still not 100% sure what to do about the yeast issue but I am leaning towards refrigerating the keg until the wedding to keep the yeast at bay. My future wife will just have to deal with having a keg in the fridge for a few days.

Quick Reply