Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Kegging/bottling a shandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
AznDrgn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Kegging/bottling a shandy

I am in the process of making a shandy, wheat beer base with lemonade added. The beer is still in secondary and the lemonade hasn't be made yet. Once I mix the two will it need to be refrigerated to keep the lemonade from spoiling? Since the lemonade has sugar in it I am assuming I will need to use kmeta or something to kill off the yeast before mixing and kegging? How will I deal with bottling?

The recipe I used is below
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/zachs-shandy

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
AznDrgn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Kegging/bottling/storing a shandy

I asked this in the beginners forum but I haven't received any replies so I am cross posting here.

I am in the process of making a shandy, wheat beer base with lemonade added. The beer is still in secondary and the lemonade hasn't be made yet. Once I mix the two will it need to be refrigerated to keep the lemonade from spoiling? Since the lemonade has sugar in it I am assuming I will need to use kmeta or something to kill off the yeast before mixing and kegging? How will I deal with bottling?

I am making this for my wedding next week so I need to get this into the keg and bottles this weekend.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
AznDrgn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shandy - Refrigeration, kegging, bottling

I asked this in the beginners forum but I haven't received any replies so I am cross posting here.

I am making this for my wedding next week so I need to get this into the keg and bottles this weekend.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

You can't really bottle it (assuming you want to keep the lemonade half sweet) without stove-top pasteurizing. For kegging, you could kill the yeast, but it's not necessary, since they will go dormant at serving temps.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
reverendj1
Recipes 

I guess another option was if you could find unsweetened lemonade (maybe Kool-aid packets, I dunno) and backsweeten it with something sweet, but unfermentable, such as Splenda. Most people don't like the taste of the fake sugars though.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

My brew partner and I have made quite a few batches of lemonade wheat. Our best tasting beer has been filtering out the yeast with 5 micron and then 1 micron filters, kegging that up and then adding the lemonade to the keg before chilling / carbonating.

I have also skipped the filtering process and just made sure that the keg stayed at serving temps in order to keep the yeasts from waking up and eating the lemonade concentrate.

So you've got 10 days or so to carbonate this stuff and then bottle it. That's gonna be tight.

If I were you, I'd skip the bottling process and serve from keg. "Rolling trash can kegerator" would be a good way to do this, if your wedding reception area isn't able to serve your beer from corny keg. Or maybe rent a jockey box from somewhere.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
AznDrgn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses!

Unfortunately I won't be able to refrigerate these kegs until Thursday but I have been force carbonating them at room temp so they should be ready to go as far as that. I don't like fake sweeteners and I don't have access to micron filters so it looks like I will need to kill off the yeast. I use Kmeta for wine, I assume that will work the same for beer? I'm still left with the question of weather the lemonade itself will need to be refrigerated once it is mixed with the beer?

LandoLincoln, The most important part is the kegging, the bottles were just going to be "thank you" gifts for people working the wedding.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
reverendj1
Recipes 

The lemonade won't need to be refrigerated after adding it to the beer. Yes, you can use kmeta & sorbate to kill the yeast (just like with wine) assuming you are bottling off the keg.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You've already started to carbonate them, and you're going to add in the lemonade concentrate later? Ooph. I have not had good experiences with this method. Just sayin'.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
AznDrgn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry for the confusion, let me back up a little. I am doing 5 beers for my wedding and I did them in 6 gallon batches so I keg 5 gallons and I bottle whatever is left ~1 gallon. All ingredients are mixed together in the bottling bucket prior to bottling/ kegging. Kegs are being force carbonated and the bottles are just getting priming sugar. I have already finished 3 of the beers and they have been force carbonated in the kegs and are just sitting in my basement. I check them all at least every few days to make sure they are still under pressure and they have ~30 PSI to them at room temperature.

LandoLincoln, what kind of ratio do you use when mixing lemonade to beer? The recipe I used said 3 gallons of beer to 2 gallons of lemonade but it does mention it was a bit sweet. Do you use any particular kind of lemonade? I was originally going to make the Chik fil a lemonade but I am starting to get on a time crunch and might decide to go a different route.

Quick Reply