Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Keg pressure keeps rising, what's going on?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Snood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg pressure keeps rising, what's going on?

Hi Guys,

I have a porter which I brewed a few months ago sitting in a cornelius keg. We recently moved and i've had no choice but to keep it at room temperature for about a month (about 25 degrees Celsius (77F)). It's been stored pressurised but not on gas supply.

It should be at approximately 2 bar (around 30PSI) at room temperature, When I checked it a few weeks ago using my CO2 regulator, it popped the safety blowout, it does this at 3 bar. I released the pressure and of course needed to do this a few times over the next few days to bring the gas levels down.

It's now a few weeks since then and I checked it again yesterday and it's up again to 2.5 bar.

What could be causing this? I didn't think there would be anything left to ferment to create the pressure. In a couple of days I will be able to put it in my kegerator (once i've finished it).

Do you think I will continue to have the same problem with it cooled down? what's the best way to manage reducing the pressure as it cools?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
arnoldk2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

was this pressurized in a keg in a cool place prior to moving?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Snood
Recipes 

it was cooler but not refrigerated, it was stored in the basement of my old appartment building at approximately 18 degrees Celsius.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
BPS531
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cold liquids can hold more dissolved gas than warm ones. As the beer warms up, it will release CO2 until the head space pressure is so high that the amount of gas leaving the liquid is the same as that going back into the liquid. If your head space was small, there could be multiple iterations of that happening as you release the pressure.

On the other hand, higher temps could have restarted fermentation, either with yeast and residual sugar or some sort of infection.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS531 View Post
Cold liquids can hold more dissolved gas than warm ones. As the beer warms up, it will release CO2 until the head space pressure is so high that the amount of gas leaving the liquid is the same as that going back into the liquid. If your head space was small, there could be multiple iterations of that happening as you release the pressure.

On the other hand, higher temps could have restarted fermentation, either with yeast and residual sugar or some sort of infection.
Yes....

Think shaking a warm soda and opening it... waaaa-oooosh.

If you chill it it should reabsorbe the CO2...

When I transfer beer from a Keg to a Growler I always chill the beer, the Growler, and the tubes that will be touching the beer. Sso when the cold beer hits the gowler it does not release its CO2; If it does;;;; when I getwhere I am going the beer maybe flat.

DPB

Quick Reply