Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Keeping fermenter at 65-70 degrees w/ large bucket and water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
hokenfloken
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Keeping fermenter at 65-70 degrees w/ large bucket and water?

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the fermenter between 65 and 70 degrees for the warm summer months? I bought some larger buckets that will hold my fermenting buckets with the hope that I could put water and ice/ice packs to regulate the temperature. Has anyone else tried this? Does it work? Is there a better way to keep it at a constant temperature. By the way, I do not have the space to buy another refrigerator and I live in a large apartment that has no basement. Thanks in advance for you advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I think the water bath will work great.

If you want to get crazy build a son of fermentation chiller. I built one using a cellphone charger for the power supply, fan out of an old computer, an old thermostat and the $25 sheet of 2inch insulation from home depot.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
hokenfloken
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Interesting. I live in Michigan where the temperature is about 70-80 degrees this time of year. Do you think JUST the water bath would lower the temperature by 10 degrees or do you think the ice would definitely be required?

Old 05-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 987

It works better if you can insulate the entire set up, to keep the temperature from fluctuating much. A water bath will warm up to room temperature eventually, bringing the beer temperature up with it. The temperature changes don't happen fast, with that much water insulating it, but keeping the entire set up insulating makes the temperature changes even more gradual.

Here's my solution:

I add water, and then frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature at 65 degrees. Now, I live in a colder climate, so I don't have much problem at all. I use the same set up in the winter, with an aquarium heater, to keep my temperatures up to 65 degrees or so.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
boredatwork
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I use a bucket to hold the carboy, and fill it with water. Then I use a pump to pump water from the bucket to a small cooler that was ice water in it. The pump is controlled by a temperature controller. The water in the cooler overflows back into the bucket with the carboy.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
Flounder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
It works better if you can insulate the entire set up, to keep the temperature from fluctuating much. A water bath will warm up to room temperature eventually, bringing the beer temperature up with it. The temperature changes don't happen fast, with that much water insulating it, but keeping the entire set up insulating makes the temperature changes even more gradual.

Here's my solution:

I add water, and then frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature at 65 degrees. Now, I live in a colder climate, so I don't have much problem at all. I use the same set up in the winter, with an aquarium heater, to keep my temperatures up to 65 degrees or so.
I like the top on your cooler but have one question? How did you cut the foam board so cleanly? I have been trying to build the Son of Ferm and am having a heck of a time getting nice clean cuts with a fine toothed saw.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I like the top on your cooler but have one question? How did you cut the foam board so cleanly? I have been trying to build the Son of Ferm and am having a heck of a time getting nice clean cuts with a fine toothed saw.
use a razor knife and make several cuts until you are all the way through.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I used a sawz-all and got clean cuts... not all of them are straight, but apfelwine may have more to do with that then the saw!

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I used a dremel. That made it really easy, and I just cut three layers and glued them together. My buddy has lots of tools, so he comes in handy some times.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply