Irish Red Ferment Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CollinsBrew

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a batch of Irish Red. This is only the second batch I have done that had more than one hop addition. The recipe called for 1oz Kent Goldings (60 min), and 1oz Willamette (1 min). Currently, I am not using my Lagerator to lager so have been using it to ferment ales at constant temps (64-66*F). I have EdWort's Apfelwein, Honey Brown (secondary) and my recent batch of Irish red in there.

The fermentation on the Irish Red took almost two days to really start most likely due to me not making a starter for it. Once it did there wasn't the usual kind of alcohol smell coming from the freezer when I opened the door. At first, I couldn't identify it but now I think I am actually smelling a hoppy smell coming from it. I used Wyeast #1272 American Ale Yeast II and nothing about the appearance says there is any kind of infection. Is that a normal smell?

this is my first post on this forum so take it for what it's worth. Smells from active fermentation are almost never an indication of anything more than...well...fermentation. Don't worry about it, you acually have to work at it to ruin beer.
RDWHAHB

I agree. Always assume everything's fine. Its not like there's anything you could do at this point if it was infected, so why stress.
I never smell anything more than a yeasty smell from my airlock.

I can tell you from a Kolsch I just brewed that the smell when it was fermenting was horific to the point where I was going to toss it. It turns out that this was normal and after three weeks with a week in a secondary (cold conditioned) that the smell is gone. So, I'd say let it mellow out.

Each yeast gives off it's own smell, or so it's seemed to me... I have an Irish Red in Primary right now, using Irish Ale (Wyeast), the pack almost exploded and i had fermentation the next morning (probably before that but i went to bed)... I have almost no smell coming from it (probably because of the fridge's size) but i will tell you the smell it does have is rather hoppy and is pretty pleasant... I used 1oz Fuggles 60 and 1oz fuggles and 1oz EKG at 5.... Don't worry there's nothing wrong...

Back