Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Infusion Vs. Decoction Vs. Multi-Step Temp.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Meister Rivington
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Infusion Vs. Decoction Vs. Multi-Step Temp.

Ok, likely this has been addressed, at least in part, in other threads, but I didn't immediately find anything in one thread that addresses it all.

My take so far is that for most cases a single step infusion is adequate, except for some adjuncts...correct? and which adjunct primarily?

That being said, is the only reason decoction mashing was used that temperature control was difficult in the past? Is a single-step mostly used now because at home precise temp control is hard?

What are the benefits of one over the other?

Thanks

Upcoming: European Amber, Boddingtons clone
Primaries: German Pilsner
Secondaries: None
Kegged: None Yet
Bottled: Wit, Oatmeal Stout, American Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meister Rivington
My take so far is that for most cases a single step infusion is adequate, except for some adjuncts...correct? and which adjunct primarily?
Anything with a high protein content, like undermodified malts, or unmalted grains (wheat, rye, barley). These generally benefit fro a protein rest.

Quote:
That being said, is the only reason decoction mashing was used that temperature control was difficult in the past? Is a single-step mostly used now because at home precise temp control is hard?
It had little to do with temp control (which would be just as easy of not easier with mutliple infusions). Historically, malts were undermodified, and the decoctions were necessary to release the starches.

Most HBers (and most commercial breweries) use single step mashes because (a) we're largely working with fully modified malts, and (b) it's easier.

Quote:
What are the benefits of one over the other?

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16.html
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Decoction
http://brewery.org/library/DecoctFAQ.html

Old 04-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #3
Anthony_Lopez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe one of the other main reasons that the Germans started the decoction method was to make a repeatable brewing process.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

Old 08-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
rockdemon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Bumping a vintage-thread here, my question is decotion vs multirest by adding boiling water. Decoction seems to be alot of work for my limited amount of space and equipment, when a recipe calls for decoction mashing, will it be ok to just go with the rest temperatures but doing so by adding boiling water instead? Will there be a big difference in the beer?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts

There's a lot of debate out there whether there is any benefit to decoction and I would just say you need to try for yourself and see.

I've been brewing some lagers lately using a single decoction process called the Schmitz Process. Its very simple and only adds about an extra hour to my brew day.

I've only sampled one of my four batches that used this process so far, so I can't really say if its better than any other mash process but its not worse.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
rockdemon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
There's a lot of debate out there whether there is any benefit to decoction and I would just say you need to try for yourself and see.

I've been brewing some lagers lately using a single decoction process called the Schmitz Process. Its very simple and only adds about an extra hour to my brew day.

I've only sampled one of my four batches that used this process so far, so I can't really say if its better than any other mash process but its not worse.

I only brew belgians and ive only used single infusion for 90 min on every brew and i want to try multirest now. So i want to know if theres much benefit from decoction instead

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 08-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
BlueHouseBrewhaus
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most Belgians I've seen have used multi-step - usually 2 or 3 steps. I believe this is to a) convert undermodified grains and b) produce a super fermentable wort and c) create a more complex/interesting flavor profile. This is based on my admittedly limited knowledge of mashing. Maybe Yooper or someone can weigh in here with a more complete answer. I haven't heard of a Belgian decoction but that doesn't mean it isn't done.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 157

A decoction when boiled reduces protein gum, step mash doesn't. A decoction when boiled adds more starch to the solution than other methods. A decoction that is boiled produces less hot break. Each decoction used in the process can be converted at a different temp in a pH range optimum for an enzyme that the brewer decides to utilize.

Keep in mind, enzymes thermally denature. How fast denaturing occurs depends on mash thickness, mash pH and temp. A thicker mash preserves enzymes; that's one reason a thick mash is part of the decoction process. In a step mash, water is infused to raise temps, thinning the mash, affecting enzymatic action.

In the English method, depending at what temperature is chosen for conversion, a 90 minute rest might benefit alpha more than beta. Beta denatures quickly at temps in the low 150's. When beta denatures, alpha continues to produce non fermentable sugar, until it denatures. The final gravity of the product will be high. The final product becomes imbalanced. In the decoction method, a brewer can control enzymatic action, which leads to the ability to contol how fermentable the wort will be. In the English method you take what you get.

Low modified malt works with the decoction process. A brewer mentioned that under modified malt is high in protein. Under modified malt is lower in protein than high modified malt. Level of modification is indicated by the SNR number or the Kolbach number. The higher the percentage of protein, the lower the starch content of the malt. Sometimes, it's not a bad idea to take a look at the data sheet for the malt being used.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to rest the mash in a temperature range where proteolytic action will reduce beta glucan, converting it to glucose and to reduce mash viscosity.

Quick Reply