Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Infected Batch - should I toss the fermenter?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default Infected Batch - should I toss the fermenter?

I had an infected batch, lacto I think. I dumped the batch, and I soaked the bucket and lid in oxiclean, and then sanitizer for over week. Now I have a feeling that my current batch that is in the bucket is infected again!

Should I just toss the dang bucket and dump this batch too?


Pacman sould flocc out after a week or so, still cloudy and bubbling after two weeks..........1.053 to 1.008 and bubbling. Dang it.

__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
FromZwolle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: beecher, il
Posts: 8,546
Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

bleach bomb. sanitizer will not sterilize.

__________________
FromZwolle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,265
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
bleach bomb. sanitizer will not sterilize.
Umm, neither will bleach... ...buckets are cheap, throw it away and pick up a new one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default

The verdict is out yet, if this next batch is infected I am going to take the bucket and all the hoses and equipemnt that came into contact and sterilize in the dishwasher.

I just checked the beer in the bucket, no off flavors, no off aromas and it is starting to clear. I am thinking that the extended oxy soak actually may have did the job.

__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,384
Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Default

From other posts I gather you harvest/repitch Pacman, correct? At some point it may become too contaminated. Every brewer/brewery has a limit they can take it until it's just not worth it to use and have to start 'fresh' again.

Not saying that's it, just mentioning it. Good luck whatever it is.

__________________
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate
SpanishCastleAle is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,711
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
From other posts I gather you harvest/repitch Pacman, correct? At some point it may become too contaminated. Every brewer/brewery has a limit they can take it until it's just not worth it to use and have to start 'fresh' again.

Not saying that's it, just mentioning it. Good luck whatever it is.
THe original infection resulted from a biiter with harvested bells yeast. So I ditched all that yeast. This is a pacman fermented beer in the same bucket, but I cleaned the hell out of the buckt.

I might just toss all the crap involved, including the fermenter. My sample just tasted very good, so I am not giving up hope on the batch yet, but after 10 days pacman usually starts to floc out, and this is still pretty cloudy.
__________________
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
rayg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mass
Posts: 351
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Umm, neither will bleach... ...buckets are cheap, throw it away and pick up a new one.
I would throw it out and switch to glass, or at least Better Bottles. Or
just ferment in a big aluminum pot with a cover.

Ray
__________________
Zymotechnia Fundamentalis
Ask not for whom the beer twangs; it twangs for thee.
rayg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Schecter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hudson, Massachusetts
Posts: 152
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Bleach doesn't kill everything? I can ship you my dinner from last night that my girlfriend made me. If it doesn't kill everything, it'll definitely scare everything away.

Try boiling your equipment to sterilize even if you toss your bucket.

__________________
Primary 1: KT Session Yellow
Primary 2: KT Session Yellow
Secondary: Why bother?
Keg 1: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale
Keg 2: Jingaling (Yuengling clone)
Bottled: I keg...the hells wrong with you?
Schecter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
stageseven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 394
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
THe original infection resulted from a biiter with harvested bells yeast. So I ditched all that yeast. This is a pacman fermented beer in the same bucket, but I cleaned the hell out of the buckt.

I might just toss all the crap involved, including the fermenter. My sample just tasted very good, so I am not giving up hope on the batch yet, but after 10 days pacman usually starts to floc out, and this is still pretty cloudy.
I imagine this is probably just a perfectly normal case of paranoia if the beer still tastes good. Maybe you just have a pretty fermentable wort and the pacman are really hungry. Otherwise if it is a lacto infection, I would suggest setting the bucket aside for doing sour beers!
__________________
stageseven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,265
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
Bleach doesn't kill everything? I can ship you my dinner from last night that my girlfriend made me. If it doesn't kill everything, it'll definitely scare everything away.

Try boiling your equipment to sterilize even if you toss your bucket.
I'll sound like a broken record, but boiling doesn't sterilize anything. It may sanitize if done for a period of time, but sterilization can really only be done in an autoclave or by other specialized means.

Don't mean to be nitpicky but it's a pet peeve of mine, what we do in homebrewing is SANITIZE not STERILIZE. Bleach (if used properly) will do the job, as will StarSan or Iodophor. However, if you suspect that the bucket is causing you issues then just replace it. If it was a stainless conical or an expensive glass carboy then I could see worrying about getting the infection out of it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)
wyzazz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First infected batch Ooompa Loompa General Techniques 19 02-17-2011 02:03 PM
First batch in a year after 5 infected batches JumboBlimpJumbo General Techniques 6 08-18-2010 04:34 PM
2.5 Gal batch in a 5 Gal Fermenter dunnright00 General Techniques 8 12-16-2009 02:37 PM
Best size fermenter for small batch malkore General Techniques 1 07-02-2008 03:28 PM
When to toss moss in the sauce? Carne de Perro General Techniques 3 10-12-2006 02:18 PM