Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is This Infected??!??!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is This Infected??!??!

Yes. Yes it is.

I just racked my Flanders Red (1.070 -> 1.020 w/ S-05) to secondary on top of 0.6 oz of oak chips and dumped in Wyeast's Roeselare Blend. This is my first sour batch evar, so I'm excited. Unfortunately, my excitement will have to wait till this time next year, but hey, what can you do?

The best part is that when I smelled the empty smackpack, it smelled like Lambic. My mouth was watering...

Anyway, wish my bugs luck...they have a long road ahead.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Yes. Yes it is.
This alone is what I want to say in almost every other thread that starts with that title.

I very highly recomend that you listen to the Brewing Network's Sunday Session from last Sunday, the most informative show they have ever done and it's all about sour beers. Tastings of every strain of Brett seperately, aging times and what kinds of sour you can look forward to from your blend.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Evan, are you aging in glass or plastic? I don't even think you have any plastic...are you going to use a dowel to allow a little oxygen in there?

Did you make a starter or anything? I'm also trying to look up info on this.

I'm going to hit mine up in a couple weeks. I'm still debating on using Cal Ale first then Roeselare, or just using straight Roeselare to get it more sour.

Reason: Your mom.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Evan, are you aging in glass or plastic? I don't even think you have any plastic...are you going to use a dowel to allow a little oxygen in there?

Did you make a starter or anything? I'm also trying to look up info on this.

I'm going to hit mine up in a couple weeks. I'm still debating on using Cal Ale first then Roeselare, or just using straight Roeselare to get it more sour.
First off, yes, I do have plastic, but no, I'm not using it here. I may shove a dowel through a bung at some point, but I'm waiting to hear back from our resident sour expert, landhoney, on that issue.

Second, I did not make a starter. According to JZ, it's not necessary. There's no ester production or off-flavors to worry about from stressed yeast, nor are you concerned about lag time. I just smacked the pack several days ago, and it swelled up to full size after 3 days.

Third, I did it per JZ. Fermented out with S-05 (Cal Ale), racked to secondary, and then added the Roeselare. It's not as much an issue of the level of sourness as it is a matter of funk. Think about it...once you pitch the Roeselare, you have to leave the beer on it for quite awhile. Now, the Roeselare has some Cal Ale in it, but not that much...and if you pitch it right out of the gate, it will compete with the Brett. Then, after all is said and done, it will sit on the cake for awhile, and the Brett will eat the dead Cal Ale cells (sort of like Autolysis) over the course of the year. With a normal beer, autolysis will produce nasty horrible flavors, but if the Brett does it, it produces barnyardy, funky characteristics. This is what you would expect from a Gueuze or Lambic, but not from a Flanders Red....FR should be cleaner with less funk. Thus...when you ferment it down to 1.020 or so with the Cal Ale, all the sugar that's fermentable by the Cal Ale is gone, and so the Cal Ale cells that are present in the Roeselare blend never get a chance to metabolize or reproduce because they have no food left. So in the end, the Brett takes hold, and since the Cal Ale hasn't repro'd, there's less funk produced from Brett eating dead Cal Ale cells.

At least, that's how I understand it from the Jiggaman.

Now, if you want a funkier beer (see: Hanssen's), then pitch the Roeselare initially and leave everything in the primary for a year. But you'll be making more of a Gueuze or Lambic than a Flanders Red.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess I need to try flanders red to see what all the fuss is about. I have had a few lambics and krieks.

Primary 1: Oatmeal Coffee Stout
Secondary: American Mild IPA
Keg 1: English Bitter

Next up: Double IPA for friend, Kolsch, Graff, American Wheat, Dunkleweizen.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Did you do the Flanders Red from the Brewing Classic Styles book? I've got 5 gallons of that going, except that I used the White Labs yeast that's similar. I couldn't get the Roeselare.

edit - and I just peeked under the airlock. There's a nice pelicle on there now.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
Did you do the Flanders Red from the Brewing Classic Styles book? I've got 5 gallons of that going, except that I used the White Labs yeast that's similar. I couldn't get the Roeselare.

edit - and I just peeked under the airlock. There's a nice pelicle on there now.
Not from BCS, but pretty much that same thing, I just used JZ's recipe from his podcast. From what he says, it's ALL about the roeselare. I have some little white spots this morning that I think are the start of a pellicle. If so, damn, that was fast!

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 06-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Well, those white spots haven't really gotten any bigger or smaller over the last few days. I'm not at all concerned (the Roeselare activator pack swelled up nicely), just wondering if someone with experience here can shed some light on how long it might take for my pellicle to form.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Where's Landhoney?

That's our in-house expert....Or you could check with;
http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

"Whoop Whoop Whoop"

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply