Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Increasing foamy head

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
coppersdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Increasing foamy head

Was wondering why my first batch is creating a very foamy head? It was a kit German Altbier and when I opened the first bottle, it was flat. Following some advice I found on this site (moved it to a warmer location), the beer had a nice head. But now it seems to be to foamy. Still has a great flavor, just wondering what I might want to do differently to reduce the amount of foam.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

If your beer hadn't had enough time or warm enough temperature during the ferment and you added the bottling sugar and bottled, your beer will overcarbonate and give you a head of foam that equals the amount of liquid. Make sure your temperature is within the range for the yeast and use your hydrometer to determine that the ferment is truly finished before you bottle. Weigh your priming sugar instead of using a measure as you can pack more into the measure than you intend.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply