Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Inconsistency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
OldSoup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Inconsistency

I recently brewed an IPA and Hefeweizen. I'm still new, they're only my 5th & 6th brews respectively. That said they are the best yet and I'm happy with them. However, both have inconsistency in carbonation (from bottle to bottle) and are a bit on the sour side -nothing overwhelming though.

Basically, I am interested in fixing both these problems. Carbonation - is this a result of poor mixing of priming sugar? - or improper capping?
Subtle sour flavor - uuuhhhh?

Thanks for any help you can send my way before my next brew.
.peace.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1514 Times on 1438 Posts
Likes Given: 52721

How do you mix your priming sugar?

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
bannonb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can only speak from my experience, but this happened to me when I first began brewing...maybe 4 years ago now.

I was so worried about aerating that I never stirred the priming sugar into the beer. I gave up that fear and started making sure that the heavier sugar water wouldn't sink, and was kept in suspension while bottling. This appears to have solved it for me because I was getting consistent bottles at the end (started kegging 2 years ago.)

You don't have to aerate to stirr and keep the beer/sugar moving.

Give it a shot.

Also, I let my bottles rest at basement temps (mid to upper 60s). If you can assure that you're keeping all the bottles at the same moderate temp, you'll be doing what I did successfully. Within 3-4 weeks I had well carbonated and aged beers.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
OldSoup
Recipes 

I pour the diluted priming sugar into the bottom of the bottling bucket and then siphon in the beer allowing it to mix from the bottom up as it fills. I've read about the dangers of getting to much oxygen dissolved in the beer at this point in the process.

Should I be doing something differently?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

How long are you waiting for them to fully carb and condition before declaring a problem? And at what temp are you carbing them at?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
OldSoup
Recipes 

After bottling they store in the dark in the basement for at least 2 weeks prior to the first taste. The basement is in the 65 degree F range - give or take a degree or two.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoup View Post
After bottling they store in the dark in the basement for at least 2 weeks prior to the first taste. The basement is in the 65 degree F range - give or take a degree or two.
This is your entire problem in a nutshell. Whenever someone says they have inconsistant carbonation it's because of both these two factors.

You don't have a carbonation problem, you just have a patience one.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

OldSoup Likes This 
Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
OldSoup
Recipes 

Wow. Thanks. I'll just keep waiting. It's good to know that it was something so easily remedied. Now, will the bottles that are overly carbonated reduce with time? Just as those that are slightly under carbonated come up?

Also, the subtle sourness that I taste; will that dissipate as well?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
OldSoup
Recipes 

Wait, just read the thread. Thanks Revvy! You're a sage guide through the dark water's of brewing.
.peace.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoup View Post
Also, the subtle sourness that I taste; will that dissipate as well?
probably, it could just be part of the green flavor. like has been mentioned, just give it more time

Quick Reply