New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Imperial Stout HELP...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
NeighborsBrewingCo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Isomerized hop extract could cut your sweetness without running the risk of really messing your beer up. You will get the bitterness with no flavor.

It would be a shot in the dark process to de-carb, transfer, pitch a yeast starter at high krausen, ect... Not to mention that's a lot of oxygen being introduced.

I'm certainly not an expert on extracts but that's what they are made for, post fermentation bittering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsBrewingCo View Post
Isomerized hop extract could cut your sweetness without running the risk of really messing your beer up. You will get the bitterness with no flavor.

It would be a shot in the dark process to de-carb, transfer, pitch a yeast starter at high krausen, ect... Not to mention that's a lot of oxygen being introduced.

I'm certainly not an expert on extracts but that's what they are made for, post fermentation bittering.
I don't think low IBUs are the problem here. Yes, it was a mid AA bittering hop, but there were 3 ounces of it.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
NeighborsBrewingCo
Recipes 

Well considering I just bottled a ris that finished at 1.020 from 1.098 which is on the sweeter side. I used 3 oz of chinook at 90 and 2 oz willamete at 30.

It stil sounds like it could be bitterness driven.

Let this be a lesson on taking gravity readings before kegging I guess.

Like I said in my previous post, one could degass and pitch another round of yeast, from a good starter/slurry. Not dry.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
crushnbugs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

I have a reading of 1.035…?

Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #15
NeighborsBrewingCo
Recipes 

What I would do is get a starter going with a good amount of dme, get an active fermentation and pitch to your beer. It will take care of any fermentables left in there.

I wouldn't add any yeast dry, ale or champagne.

Out of curiosity, I didn't see anywhere in your post... How much yeast did you pitch the first time. How long did you leave it in primary?

For mine I had to leave it in primary for almost a month and a half. Apologies if you already answered this question.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #16
billybryson54
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed this same kit several months ago. According to my notes(Yeah, I'm one of those nerdy Note-keeper types) I did a full boil for 90 minutes, steeping my grains at 155 for 35 minutes beforehand. I made a 2L starter of White labs British ale yeast, and I left mine in the primary for one month at roughly 66 degrees(It was also a very violent fermentation) I did indeed use a secondary for about 4 months, but I did not add the Champagne yeast. After that, I very lightly carbonated it, and served it on 25 PSI of nitro. The keg actually just kicked last week. The beer was indeed sweet, but it wasn't overly sweet in my opinion. For me, it was just right, and to this day, it's still one of my favorites that I've made...Sigh, all that waiting time for the beer I've drank the fastest thus far...shoulda made 20 gallons.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
crushnbugs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

I used a Wyeast 1098 British Ale yeast and let it go for 12 days. I watched and it stopped around day 8, the crusty top sank to the bottom. On day 12 I racked to a secondary carboy and pitched the Champagne Yeast dry as the directions indicated.

This afternoon I removed the keg from my keezer and bled off the gas, I have had it on a nitrogen mix so there is not too much CO2 to deal with. It is slowly coming up to room temp.

What do you all think, should I rack into a carboy and get ready to make another yeast starter and pitch in? Or do I make a hops boil and add to cut the sweetness?

Thanks for all input...

Quick Reply