Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Imperial Stout FG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
cpz28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Imperial Stout FG

3 weeks ago I brewed an imperial stout with a starting gravity of 1.118. Today I transferred to a secondary and the gravity was 1.042. I was hoping for a bit more attenuation (I was finger crossing for 1.035) but I didn’t use the most ideal yeast, I pitched on a cake of 1968 London ESB. It is hard to tell if the beer is too sweet at this time; it is very green. I don’t expect it to go down much more, if at all, in the secondary. For the style, do you feel that this FG is acceptable? I know some bigger imperial stouts (ie Dark Lord) have an FG around 1.050 but it also have a higher OG. What do you guys think? Should I leave well enough alone or pitch some 1056 or something into the secondary? It is just difficult to say how the beer will taste with some age on it and I don’t plan on drinking on this for at least 6 months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It should be fine. You really have to baby high gravity beers though to get the attenuation you're looking for. Huge starters, and multiple yeast pitches help.

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply