Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Immersion chiller idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
gomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Immersion chiller idea

I ordered an immersion chiller yesterday. I was thinking of wrapping it in a nylon paint strainer bag when i put it in the last part of the boil so that i could siphon out of the middle and leave all the hop particulates and such behind. The question is will this mess up the utilization of late addition hops and such?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

someone else around here does that ... i can't remember who, though. ed wort maybe? but you don't have to put the bag in the boil. after the wort cools, pull the IC out, place in bag, reinsert, put autosiphon or racking cane inside bag/IC, rack away.

haven't tried it myself but seems like it'd work well.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
gomb
Recipes 

Cool, i didnt think i would have been the first one to try that, was also worried about maybe melting the bag if it hung out in the boil. mmmmm melted nylon beer yumminess!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
theschick
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I lot of people use those paint strainers as a hop bag to add their hops throughout the entire boil process. I wouldn't worry about it melting.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have read that some think if the hops are not moving around enough, then the bag itself picks up some of the stickiness of the oils in the hops, your IBU's are going to be low. My self, instead of making the planned hop bag, I am thinking to line the funnel going into the fermenter with sterilized strainers. I have four strainers so I can switch them out if clogged. I have installed valves on my pots so I don't want to siphon.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
gomb
Recipes 

I have tried the funnel lining before and it clogs fast. Then you have to wait for the wort to drain through, clean the strainer and repeat. I wont be doing that again.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
I am thinking to line the funnel going into the fermenter with sterilized strainers. I have four strainers so I can switch them out if clogged. I have installed valves on my pots so I don't want to siphon.
DANGER WILL ROBINSON! All that mucking about is just the thing airborne bacteria, mold, and wild yeast are waiting for. I don't think that trub/hops removal is important enough to risk infecting an entire batch, not to mention it sounds like a HUGE hassle. I would suggest dumping everything in unless you have a way to rack wort off the trub/hops in the kettle (SS racking cane, kettle ball valve, etc.). Get your cooled wort into the fermenter as quickly as possible with as little contact with the outside world as possible.

Quick Reply