Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Ice Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
PhysicsBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ice Stabilization

I posted this in the General Beer Discussion section and then realized it is more appropriate here.

I have been reading George Fix's book "Principles of Brewing Science." He has a section on ice stabilization, where around 5% of the beer is frozen and the remaining liquid removed and allowed to continue conditioning as normal.

Eisbocks aside, I'm wondering what people's experiences have been using this as a conditioning technique? Have many of you tried it? Have ANY of you tried it?

-PhysicsBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Kralizec
Recipes 

It'd be quite difficult and I'm sure there aren't many people who have the availability of a large freezer and soforth.

Keg1 : Air
Keg2 : Air
Keg3 : Air
Keg4(3gal): Air

Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
normzone
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have involuntarily created a five gallon beer cube by putting off kegging the batch I was cold crashing for too long...You mean that this is a valuable technique if I could only learn to control it?

Edit: Damnit, I just got home and I did it again. Put a batch into cold crash last night and 24 hours later it's a giant beer cube.

Last edited by normzone; 09-13-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: situational update

Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
PhysicsBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by normzone View Post
I have involuntarily created a five gallon beer cube by putting off kegging the batch I was cold crashing for too long...You mean that this is a valuable technique if I could only learn to control it?

Edit: Damnit, I just got home and I did it again. Put a batch into cold crash last night and 24 hours later it's a giant beer cube.
Beer ice-cubes are a fantastic idea. Pop one in your beer to make it frosty cold, without watering it down! It is brilliant. You are full of accidental awesomeness!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
HopJuicer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have not done this with beer yet but have done it with blackberry wine. I filled the tap a draft bottles so they would fit in my freezer and waited until it was more solid than a slushy. I took the tap a draft bottles of frozen goodness, opened 1 up at a time and turned it upside down on the top of a gallon sun tea jar and collected the runnings.

Be careful because this enhances flavors! So if there is an off flavor to your brew this could stand out even more so. I had to then backsweeten the wine because it had such a dry tart punch. It really warmed you up with each sip!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
jhall4
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopJuicer View Post
I have not done this with beer yet but have done it with blackberry wine. I filled the tap a draft bottles so they would fit in my freezer and waited until it was more solid than a slushy. I took the tap a draft bottles of frozen goodness, opened 1 up at a time and turned it upside down on the top of a gallon sun tea jar and collected the runnings.

Be careful because this enhances flavors! So if there is an off flavor to your brew this could stand out even more so. I had to then backsweeten the wine because it had such a dry tart punch. It really warmed you up with each sip!
What you're describing is different than what the OP is suggesting.

Ice stabilization is a process to clear up haziness, especially chill haze, by freezing and removing a small amount (about 5%) of the beer. The theory is that as proteins and other haze causers drop out of suspension they provide good places for ice to form. Thus, they are removed when you remove the ice.

This process will slightly concentrate the alcohol in the beer, it won't be to nearly the same degree as a complete 'freeze distillation'

Quick Reply