Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Ice to chill wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
electronjunkie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
Sorry ... not big into physics ..... dya wanna dumb it down for the likes of me?
It takes much more energy to go from 0*C to 1*C (frozen to unfrozen) than it does to go from 1*C to 2*C (unfrozen remains unfrozen)

Isn't this taught in HS physics/chem classes BTW?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
Icewalker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
It takes much more energy to go from 0*C to 1*C (frozen to unfrozen) than it does to go from 1*C to 2*C (unfrozen remains unfrozen)

Isn't this taught in HS physics/chem classes BTW?
I'm sure it is taught in HS physics. Of course I went to a secondary school in the UK and physics was an elective.

So I'll try to reword the question. What does this have to do with cooling down wort? i.e. Is there a negative effect of using ice and/or icewater directly in the wort?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
I'm sure it is taught in HS physics. Of course I went to a secondary school in the UK and physics was an elective.

So I'll try to reword the question. What does this have to do with cooling down wort? i.e. Is there a negative effect of using ice and/or icewater directly in the wort?

Thanks
You mean besides infection risk??? I would think that is a big enough drawback.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #24
Icewalker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
You mean besides infection risk??? I would think that is a big enough drawback.
Apart from the risk of infection. If the containers themselves are sanitized and the ice water has been previously boiled in order to mitigate the risk of infection.

Are there any negative effects of essentially flash cooling the wort?

Or am I the only once crazy enough to attempt it?

Old 11-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Apart from the risk of infection. If the containers themselves are sanitized and the ice water has been previously boiled in order to mitigate the risk of infection.

Are there any negative effects of essentially flash cooling the wort?

You mean other than Alton brown and hundreds of brewers who saw the episode where he did it? Or read about it in early books. You're not breaking any new ground here. It's been done for years, probably up until the brewer gets his first infection, or finds out a wort chiller is more effective.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
Icewalker
Recipes 

Quote:
You mean other than Alton brown and hundreds of brewers who saw the episode where he did it? Or read about it in early books. You're not breaking any new ground here. It's been done for years, probably up until the brewer gets his first infection, or finds out a wort chiller is more effective.
I didn't think I was breaking any new ground. Sorry mate I didn't see Alton Brown do it ... generally I don't watch TV. It was simply a question.

Calm down ... have a beer and a bacon samwich .... perhaps take the dog for a walk.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #27
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
I didn't think I was breaking any new ground. Sorry mate I didn't see Alton Brown do it ... generally I don't watch TV. It was simply a question.

Calm down ... have a beer and a bacon samwich .... perhaps take the dog for a walk.
Why do you think I'm not calm...it's just seemed, by what you posted, like you thought you'd be the first to try it. Some folks actually believe that they are inventing something new just because they never heard about something before. And you wouldn't be the first one on here believing about adding ice. Just pointing out some facts to you....

This is what you wrote after all,
Quote:
seemed to me like you thought you were some brewing daredevil or something.

Maybe it's you who needs a sandwich.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #28
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I freeze RO water in sanitized plastic Ziploc tupperware containers (which I use just for that) 750 ml at a time, 4 of them. That gives me almost a gallon of frozen ice to help chill my wort. Dont see any problems with that but will be getting wort chiller down the road

Old 11-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #29
Icewalker
Recipes 

Quote:
Why do you think I'm not calm...it's just seemed, by what you posted, like you thought you'd be the first to try it. Some folks actually believe that they are inventing something new just because they never heard about something before. And you wouldn't be the first one on here believing about adding ice. Just pointing out some facts to you....

This is what you wrote after all, seemed to me like you thought you were some brewing daredevil or something.

Maybe it's you who needs a sandwich.
Nope .... no daredevil here. Tongue in cheek comments obviously don't translate well.

It was just a question ... no need to involve the spanish inquisition

Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #30
Icewalker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
I freeze RO water in sanitized plastic Ziploc tupperware containers (which I use just for that) 750 ml at a time, 4 of them. That gives me almost a gallon of frozen ice to help chill my wort. Dont see any problems with that but will be getting wort chiller down the road
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm hoping to get some kind of wort chiller at some point as well as soon as I can convince my mrs that it is essential for our well being that we have one

Quick Reply