Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Ice to chill wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Brother Dun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ice to chill wort?

I just read that it is bad to chill your wort using ice. I normally add a little bit of water to get my AG batch to the right volume, but I thought ice would be a good idea instead, since it would cool the wort as well. Could someone tell me why I shouldn't use ice?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm not a big fan of putting ice in my fermenter unless I made it myself in a sanitized container (like a gallon milk jug); there is no gaurantee that the ice bags bought at the store are sanitized...the ice might be, but who knows about the plastic bags, and some of those bags get torn loading and un loading in those machines, so who knows whose grubby hands went in and out of there.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

as long as you pre-boiled that water, and froze it in a way that kept it sanitary, then its fine.

anything short of the above steps is increasing the risk for infection.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you used a gallon milk jug, how would you get the ice out of it? Cut away the plastic? I was thinking sanitizing some 1 gallon glad bags and then freezing those might work, or maybe some large tupperware (like a big cube).

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins838892 View Post
If you used a gallon milk jug, how would you get the ice out of it? Cut away the plastic? I was thinking sanitizing some 1 gallon glad bags and then freezing those might work, or maybe some large tupperware (like a big cube).
Yes, cut away the plastic. I've frozen 1 gallon zippies for other things, they work fine as well.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It's a gamble,

People add straight tap water to the fermenter to top off and all is well, but if you have bad water you'll have bad beer.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
monty73741
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm not a big fan of putting ice in my fermenter unless I made it myself in a sanitized container (like a gallon milk jug); there is no gaurantee that the ice bags bought at the store are sanitized...the ice might be, but who knows about the plastic bags, and some of those bags get torn loading and un loading in those machines, so who knows whose grubby hands went in and out of there.
I dont think there would be bacteria contamination. Mainly because that ice is so cold that it is not in the temperature dangerzone. I say try it. I know in many a resturants i worked in we used a paddle like device that we would freeze to shock cold soups. it was washed but never sanitized.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Freezing won't kill bacteria. Anything that touches wort post-boil should be as sanitary as possible.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
Freezing won't kill bacteria. Anything that touches wort post-boil should be as sanitary as possible.
YUP!!!!

(darn ten letters)

Old 06-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Back in my extract days I'd preboil a gallon of water and sanitize any old throw away tupperware like chinese food soup containers, cool whip, etc as long as it was tapered from top to bottom. Fill them, freeze, then pop it out into the wort. When I finally got my fermentation fridge, I'd skip all that and simply chill down the entire volume of topoff water to about 40F.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply