Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > I was scolded at LHBS today when I told em I don't usually use a secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Think of it this way. How do the pros do it? Brew ferment and serve in under two weeks, no secondary there.

Proper yeast pitching rates with healthy yeast and temperature control eliminate the need for secondary fermentation.

In his defense though, People who have been home brewing for a really long time experienced a time when good healthy yeast and fresh ingredients where hard to come buy. A secondary was needed to clean up the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
Think of it this way. How do the pros do it? Brew ferment and serve in under two weeks, no secondary there.
Pros do yeast dumps out of the primary within a few days, and use separate bright tanks. So if the concept of "secondaries" comes from anywhere, it's pro brewing.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 03-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #23
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Problem with imitating the pro's is that we're not anywhere near the scale they are. Issues that they face, we'll never encounter. WE don't have hundreds (or thousands) of gallons of beer sitting on the yeast cake. We also don't need to free up the fermenter for another batch quickly so that we can stay profitable.

I took a tour of a local brew pub last year that has no secondaries, leaves their batches (in 13 bbl conical fermenters) for 10-14 days before it goes to keg. They do partially carbonate in the fermenter, capturing excess CO2 into a tank.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Pros do yeast dumps out of the primary within a few days, and use separate bright tanks. So if the concept of "secondaries" comes from anywhere, it's pro brewing.
A bright tank is just that, a place to put the beer and cool it down to freezing or just above freezing the facilitate the precipitation of polyphenols that contribute to chill haze. In addition cold beer can be carbonated at lower pressures, and CO2 is more soluble at lower temperatures.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
ShorelineBrew
Recipes 

You guys are too funny. Bout to brew a batch today. IMO transferring to a secondary just runs more risk of infection.

Brew on

Old 03-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are three possibilities in my eyes: he's trying to sell more expensive equipment, he hasn't read anything related to brewing in 20 years, or he's stupid. I would guess it is number 1 or 2. Probably 1. If it were my profit margin and livelihood on the line, I'd probably steer people to glass carboys too (even though I almost never use them). So, you really can't blame him (too much)...unless he was being a d!ck about it. Then, screw that guy!

PS - I almost never use secondaries, unless I need the larger fermenter buckets for another batch. Then I'll transfer to my 5 gal super-duper-fancy $2.99 Lowe's buckets so I can have the extra 1&1/2 gallons of headspace. The only time I use a glass carboy is if I'm aging something for more than three months, which is almost never.

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #27
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1022 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
One of my brew buddies is big on the 'old school' techniques. During an argument once, I told him that the Hanseatic League was trading world class beer in Northern Europe in the 13th Century. Catch my drift?
Ha!

Like my peeps, the Old Order Amish, I consider zippers a sign of dangerous and god-less modernity and will not brew while wearing pants with zippers. Since all my pants have zippers . . .

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #28
tsname
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_

Ha!

Like my peeps, the Old Order Amish, I consider zippers a sign of dangerous and god-less modernity and will not brew while wearing pants with zippers. Since all my pants have zippers . . .
Is elastic evil too? I should've read this thread earlier and saved my money by not buying the carboy and going with a cheaper starter kit.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #29
wSelwyn
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it's that everyone learned from someone/someplace, they have their own method, and they stick to what works.

I use a secondary for two reasons. 1) I like the added clarity. 2) Some of my batches involve dry hopping.

I also use a plastic bucket for primary, mostly because I don't have the space for all sorts of carboys. Buckets stack well

I take advice from my LHBS, but I never take crap attitudes from them.

-
“Terrorists, Sam. They’ve taken over my stomach. They’re demanding beer.” — Norm Peterson, Cheers

Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #30
tsname
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does anyone rack into a second plastic bucket for secondary and clarity?

Quick Reply