Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > I keep missing the mark

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 11:40 PM   #11
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
As stated, an aquarium pump is OK, but would require 20+ minutes to achieve a proper saturation of O2 in the wort, measured in parts/million.
I just want to add that this is pretty easy to do--I'm sure the O2 tank is the best aeration method, but I got my aquarium pump setup cheap and it seems to work well for me. I start it up as soon as I start siphoning the wort into the fermenter, which takes several minutes anyway...so I don't find waiting 20-30 minutes to be that big a deal.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

very true.

an aquarium pump is going to be less than 10 bucks at wally world, and the tubing and difusion stone will be another 2-3 bucks. I would even throw in an inline micron filter for good measure which are dirt cheap as well.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I just want to add that this is pretty easy to do--I'm sure the O2 tank is the best aeration method, but I got my aquarium pump setup cheap and it seems to work well for me. I start it up as soon as I start siphoning the wort into the fermenter, which takes several minutes anyway...so I don't find waiting 20-30 minutes to be that big a deal.
Agreed. I have found that there are many valid methods to just about everything we do in brewing. That is what makes this hobby so interesting. I don't think I have ever come in contact with more resourceful people than I have since getting involved with home brewing.

If you have found a method of doing something that works for you, I think it would be crazy to change just for the sake of trying something new.

I have never tried the aquarium pump deal, only O2, and have just gotten used to aeration only taking me 60-90 seconds. I do think that if using a pump, it would be a requirement, not an option, to use an in line micro filter.

John

Old 08-11-2006, 02:15 AM   #14
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also, if you don't want to buy anything, there is an easy option for those that ferment in buckets, which it sounds like you do. Clean and sanitize your bottling bucket and your fermentation bucket (make sure the valve on the bottling bucket is closed). Siphon cooled wort into the bucket. Pour your cooled wort from bucket to bucket 8-10 times or about 10 min. or until the foam won't fit in your bucket anymore. I've been doing this and have my last 2 brews ferment to 1.010 and 1.008 (american wheat and kolsch). Also, all the beers I have done this way hit the mark based on the yeasts attenuation.

Also, it sounds like you are doing partial boils

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
I aerate by shaking the heck out of the three gallons of water I add before I vigourously pour them in. I then stir my wort in a manner that definitely gets air into it for about 3-4 minutes. I use a bucket and have always been worried about putting the lid on and shaking because I don't want to get my airlock water in my brew.
If this is the case and you are using unboiled tap (or bottled) water, it should have enough oxygen in it already to ferment fully.

Last edited by clayof2day; 08-11-2006 at 02:18 AM.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:27 AM   #15
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could you buy the diffusion stone and filter at a pet store?

Old 08-11-2006, 03:44 AM   #16
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayof2day
Also, if you don't want to buy anything, there is an easy option for those that ferment in buckets, which it sounds like you do. Clean and sanitize your bottling bucket and your fermentation bucket (make sure the valve on the bottling bucket is closed). Siphon cooled wort into the bucket. Pour your cooled wort from bucket to bucket 8-10 times or about 10 min. or until the foam won't fit in your bucket anymore. I've been doing this and have my last 2 brews ferment to 1.010 and 1.008 (american wheat and kolsch). Also, all the beers I have done this way hit the mark based on the yeasts attenuation.

Also, it sounds like you are doing partial boils

If this is the case and you are using unboiled tap (or bottled) water, it should have enough oxygen in it already to ferment fully.
Yep, that's what I'm doing. Plus I shake the heck out of it before I vigorously pour it in. It's weird because I'm on my 10th batch or so, but this problem only came up in the last few batches. I didn't change anything four brews ago that I can blame it on.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 08-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #17
johnsma22

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersn024
I'd like to know where to get a micron filter also. I have an old aquarium pump that I wouldn't be afraid to use if I had a filter for it.
More Beer sells Sanitary Filters. Check them out.

John

Old 08-11-2006, 05:35 AM   #18
johnsma22

Recipes 

Could the ADMIN please explain why my posts are being displayed before the posts that I am responding to! See above.

EDIT: See, it did it again. Something is not right here.
John

Last edited by johnsma22; 08-11-2006 at 05:37 AM.

Old 08-11-2006, 05:55 AM   #19
myersn024
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Cretin
Could you buy the diffusion stone and filter at a pet store?
I'd like to know where to get a micron filter also. I have an old aquarium pump that I wouldn't be afraid to use if I had a filter for it.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #20
tockeyhockey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
Yep, that's what I'm doing. Plus I shake the heck out of it before I vigorously pour it in. It's weird because I'm on my 10th batch or so, but this problem only came up in the last few batches. I didn't change anything four brews ago that I can blame it on.
could it be that your equipment has built up some sort of residue, either cleanser, bleach, or soap that is retarding yeast activity? perhaps you should consider changing your cleaning methods, or perhaps changing the bucket all together.

Quick Reply