Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > I have quit bottling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
It's really the time.

Dishwasher is NEVER empty, so I'll need to run it to empty it. 2 hours

Then I need to run my bottles through. 2 hours there.

The actual process sure may only take 45-60 min, but the time adds up.

I still bottle wine.
But, then don't use the dishwasher. It's faster and easier to rinse the bottles when you empty them. Store them upside down until bottling day. (Maybe 10 minutes total over the weeks?) Then on bottling day, turn upside up and push onto the vinator and onto the bottling tree. That's about 15 minutes for 50 bottles. Then, fill them. Capping takes the longest, about 10 minutes by the time you cap them all and put them away. It takes less than an hour from start to finish including putting everything away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep1980 View Post
It's really the time.

Dishwasher is NEVER empty, so I'll need to run it to empty it. 2 hours

Then I need to run my bottles through. 2 hours there.

The actual process sure may only take 45-60 min, but the time adds up.
I don't even OWN a dishwasher. I rinse my bottles out when they are done with a jet bottle washer. Or sometimes soak them in hot water and oxyclean over night then rinse them.

Every couple months or so I process a bunch of labeled bottles from the store, and any other bottles I have lying around, soaking them in a big tub of oxclean over night, then spend about an hour with a podcast playing, or a game on, rinsing them, soaking them in starsan to both sanitize and remove any oxyclean "scale", and get them into milk crates or cases for when I'm ready...I'm talking 4 to 8 cases prepped and ready for bottling day in about an hour....that's hardly anything.....it adds up to maybe 5 or 6 hours an entire year in prep time.

I still sanitize them with a vinator on bottling day and it still only takes me about an hour for five gallons.

Besides the juries still out as to whether or not a dishwasher is a good way to clean bottles....most dishwashers are a breading ground for tiny bits of unrinsed away biomatter, plus you should run it once before you add bottles with nothing in it to get rid of the soap or your bottles will kill head retention..and tme it's just a waste of lots of water AND electricity to do it..I'm not an eco-geek or anything, but it seems like an inoordinate waste of resources....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Yupper to Yooper. For my brewing assistant and me, it takes us a total of an hour to bottle, all inclusive ( cleaning, sanitizing, filling, capping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
But, then don't use the dishwasher. It's faster and easier to rinse the bottles when you empty them. Store them upside down until bottling day. (Maybe 10 minutes total over the weeks?) Then on bottling day, turn upside up and push onto the vinator and onto the bottling tree. That's about 15 minutes for 50 bottles. Then, fill them. Capping takes the longest, about 10 minutes by the time you cap them all and put them away. It takes less than an hour from start to finish including putting everything away.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Pick up a few of them and you'll be bottling easy peasy chicken squeezy and quickly in no time.
Too true Revvy. Fixed your slang for ya.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

What ever happened to the "Relax" part?

It takes me a while to bottle. I'll turn on the tv or radio, open a beer, and bottle. Sometimes one of my kids'll happen by the kitchen and help. (My seven-year-old daughter is my chief bottler and likes that I put that down in my brew log - 'Chief Bottler: Josephine'.) With help or not, I'm in no hurry. Yes, it may take me a couple of hours to get everything done. But, what else would a father of four rather be doing on a Tuesday night?

Me, I'll drink a few homebrews, bottle some beer, and hang out with my family.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Why are you rinsing the bottles after the dishwasher?

No soap + sanitize setting + heated dry = good to go.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My dad and I have a system down where it takes about an hour to do 10 gallons. This includes prep time, but cleaning two glass carboys adds a bit more time. We use a good mix of big and small bottles which speeds things up a bit. Bottling tree is a must.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo82 View Post
My dad and I have a system down where it takes about an hour to do 10 gallons. This includes prep time, but cleaning two glass carboys adds a bit more time. We use a good mix of big and small bottles which speeds things up a bit. Bottling tree is a must.
Awesome 10 gallons in an hour-ish... That is SO cool!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I started keggin this year. It is faster in some ways... if you leave out alot of variables and factors. Faster if you just count draining into one sanitized, ready to go keg.

But kegging has other time consuming parts: tinkering with the system, the tools, the refilling of tanks. Then paying the $10 bucks a month more in electric. And most keggers still end up bottling some... so you aren't reducing equipment.

Kegging is not better... just different. A lot of things are really cool about pulling beer off tap... and bottling off tap with no sediment. But there is a certain beauty and art to bottling.

I will always bottle in the winter with some recipes that I do not consume as much of. And split batches... 5 into bottle and 5 into keg. Then I can hide some from my wife (and myself) and enjoy it at various ages.

You have to spend as much time learning to bottle well as learning to keg well.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It sounds like part of the problem is that you're using the dishwasher!

The bottles should already be clean. Clean them when you drink them, not 2 months later.

Then the day you bottle, a 30 second dip in star-san, then put em on a bottle tree to drain, and start filling.

I can bottle, and clean up, 5 gallons in less than 1 hour....while your dishwasher is still running its first cycle.
(you know dishwashers aren't good at cleaning bottles right? and that lots of hot sanitizing reduces the life of the bottles...all that hot/cold/hot/cold over time makes stress fractures)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply