I have an itchy brewing finger....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro

Reaction score
It's been a few months since I brewed a batch and I'm ready to start up again.

One of my favs that I brewed was from LME (3 times), but now I need to convert the recipe to all grain.

The LME recipe calls for 6 Lbs of Briess Gold Extract....

Then the grains are 1/2 Lb of Munich 10L and 1 Lb of Briess Crystal 20.

The hop schedule is nothing but Cascades... 1-1/2 Oz for 60 minutes, 1 Oz for 30 minutes and dry hop with 1/2 OZ

Oh... And the recipe gives 3 options for yeast... Wyeast #1028 London Dry, Wyeast #1968 (which is what I used the first 3 times) and Edme Dry. What, if any, difference does the the choice of yeast make between these three? FWIW... I'm planning on brewing this APA 3 weekends in a row, then brewing a porter using the same yeast in all 4 batches.

The APA is pretty close to Ed's Haus Ale, which I have brewed on several occasions and am drinking right now... Just a little hopier.

Yeah.. But what about the malt?

I'm thinking 9 lbs of 2 row instead of the 6 Lbs of LME.

Should I add anything else?

9# 2 row should be approximately equal to 6# LME assuming 65% efficiency, so that looks like a good starting point.
The 1968 is very low attenuating, and results in a very estery beer. The 1028 is higher attenuating, and will result in a drier beer. I haven't used Edme, so I don't know what that's like. I don't think I'd like the combination of 1968 and Cascades.

-a.

I personally don't care for the 1028. I made a nut brown ale with it, and it came out with a strong minerally taste like the description states. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Could you elaborate on this some?

Personal taste. I think the "C" hops can be good with a dry fermenting yeast, but not with an estery yeast such as 1968. I don't expect everybody else to have the same taste as me, so if you like the combination, then by all means go for it.

-a.

Back