Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > I can't get it up.........(trub)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #1
jwright
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I can't get it up.........(trub)

My Trub pile that is........
I just finished brewing an extract version of Midwest's Ferocious IPA. 3 oz of hop pellets, 2 oz of which added across the last 20 min. Ive been having trouble siphoning my beer off the trub/break material since I started. For this batch I used only 1/2 of a whirlfloc tab, I cooled the batch in 12 min using my IC, Whirlpooled very vigorously (2 min) with a really nice vortex. let sit for 15 min, looked really clear and the rotation had stopped so I started siphoning. I got about 3 gal through the 5.5 gal when I started sucking trub. I pulled the siphon and repeated, waited about 15 min again and was able to get another gallon, I could see the trub, and there was no pile (mound or pyramid) just flat liquidy goo. Tried one last time, stirred 3 min, vortex to bottom of pot, waited 20 min until no activity, but still no pile, just a small amount of clear beer over flat break material. I Could not leave 1.5 gallons of this sweet necter behind, plus I figured that some of that material I was trying to leave behind was my hop aroma/flavor and some yeast goodies. I ended up compromising by sccoping 3-4 pints of the top layer out and into the carboy. So....
1. What is the secret to a good pile (i've searched the board and read the wiki) - some people suggest waiting longer, but there was no more rotation when I siphoned.
2. Or skip the whirlpool and filter with a paint filter bag (over IC, or into ferm, etc).
3. To trub or not to trub - I usually rack after 1 week. I know that many just empty the kettle into the fermentor, but I'm a little OCD about the gunk. I'm thinking this might be the easiest but I'll need some convincing.

Ohh merciless gods of trub, what have I done to offend thee

Somebody please help, and I'll praise you with every pour of my my next batch.
Thanks
Jason

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 04:49 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Break material is actually good for your yeast and gives you a healthy fermentation. You just don't want ALL of it in there. Whirlpool, leave behind what you can and know what gets through into your primary isn't a bad thing

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
jwright
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah, thats what part of my brain is telling me, but how much? I had 1 1/2 gal of the stuff. It is kinda of all or none. I mean the beer is very clear until I hit the trub/break material then its thick with goo. So take 1/2, 1/4, or just what little I suck up getting that last of the clear wort?
I am starting to like the idea of draining into or siphoning from a filter bag. May here use 5gal paint strainer bags, but I bet the larger nylon hop bags would work as well.
My last beer, I ended up saying f&%*k it, and drained the entire kettle in. One week in primary and 4 weeks in the secondary and it was completly clear going into the keg.
It is so frustrating to get hung up on such a minor step. My equipment, partial mash, kegging, and full boils have all gone so well (so far). This seems like such a trivial thing.
Failure to whirlpool, Its my shame - the homebrewer's equivalent of bed wetting.
jason

Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm with you in that my whirlpool attempts did not work either. My pot has a flat bottom but I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I line a 3 gallon sanitized bucket with a paint strainer and pour the last gallon into the bucket, raise the bag and let it drain off. It works pretty well and there is still a fair bit of trub left in the fermentor.

Gary

Old 04-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I stopped using a hop bag, so after I cool my wort the whole thing just gets poured through a strainer. So for me, big chunks of goop get stopped and small bits of goop pass through. It all settles out in the fermenter anyway.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I stopped using a hop bag, so after I cool my wort the whole thing just gets poured through a strainer. So for me, big chunks of goop get stopped and small bits of goop pass through. It all settles out in the fermenter anyway.
I used to do that too, using either a a big strainer in a large funnel for carboys and a 5 gallon nylon/elastic paint strainer bag for buckets.

But since I got my wort chiller (which I use both outdoors and for my stovetop brewing) and can get my temps really low, quite quickly, now I just use my autosiphon to move it to the fermenter. I usually rest the bottom of the AS on the first ring of the IC, which lifts it up above the layer of break and trub.

Works great.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply