Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > I bought a temp controller II from williams brewing and i cant get it figured out??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
VladOfTrub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 123

What is happening in the meat freezer is called "temperature glide". It has to do with evaporating temps and transfer. Once the temp sensor is insulated from the air in the space and reading the temp of the medium you want to cool. The compressor will cool the space below set point. You'll need to find a balance point. Wort has more weight than the air in the box. There is no such thing as residual/latent cooling. They're two different things. Residual cooling is sensible, you can sense it. It's what the T-stat adjusts to and what the thermometer shows. The word late is in latent and that's about it. Latent is the energy hidden in the air being cooled. Latent is in the form of water vapor. The water vapor (latent) has to be removed first, before the air can be cooled. Adding a 50 - 70 degree thermal mass cooling load and running a freezer at high temps adds to the total heat of rejection, that the compressor has to deal with. Add to that a shortened run time. The compressor runs hotter. The pressures are higher, the amp draw is higher. The refrigeration system never has a chance to balance out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So Vlad, what do you recommend?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Don't know if anyone is still subscribed to this or is still reading but I found a happy medium. Seems to be the ideal solution for me. The Ranco dual stage temp controller. You plug a cooling unit in one outlet, and a heating unit in another. So you're able to create a dead space between the two and run both at the same time. So in essence, it allow me to run the freezer in the summer without the temp dropping too much, but also allows me to run a heater in the winter without it getting too hot. The two units solve the issue of the temperature swings from the other... I'm quite satisfied, especially since its about 75 during the day right now and 40 at night, I can set it and don't have to worry about constant daytime/nighttime monitoring.

Quick Reply