Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hydrogen Peroxide for Aeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
ipscman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default George Fox on Hydrogen Peroxide

From Brewing Techniques magazine:

To answer your second question, I consulted my friend Dr. George Fix, author of The Principles of Brewing Science (1). Based on his answer, I would not even try to use peroxide as a substitute for an aerating stone. Here's why.

Hydrogen peroxide is basically a water molecule with a second oxygen atom loosely attached. That loose oxygen is highly reactive and makes peroxide a powerful sanitizer. As you might expect, adding a dose of sanitizer to a freshly pitched wort clashes with the mission of your yeast. When Dr. Fix tried using peroxide to oxygenate wort, he managed to kill most of the yeast rather than make it grow. The resulting fermentation was typically problematic - long lag period, slow and incomplete attenuation, high levels of by-products, and so forth. Based on Dr. Fix's findings, I do not recommend peroxide as a substitute for air or oxygen in cold wort, and I see no point in calculating the volume of H2O2 required.

BT - Troubleshooter: Vol. 4, No. 6

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #22
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There it is, from Fix himself. Brewer and scientist. Topic closed.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 12-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #23
pollox87
Recipes 

Old Topic, but I decided to give this a shot. I ended up using 24g of 3% H2O2 once my wort was cool (5 gal batch). I then waited 30 minutes for the reaction to occur and then pitched 1.6 L of a WLP001 starter. 6 hours later the airlock started to bubble and 12 hours from pitching it was going at a good rate.

I will let you know if there are any off flavors once finished.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Ok, I have to see how this turns out just on curiosity alone. Bobby's videos are why I don't worry, relax, and have a plethora of homebrews. Can't wait to see how the experiment turns out though.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I really don't understand why people go to so much trouble to aerate their wort. This is not rocket science, folks. I usually venturi during transfer, but even if you don't have holes in your transfer hose, you can still just fan the liquid out against the side of the fermenter as it fills up.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #26
pollox87
Recipes 

I am not chemist nor do I know all about brewing but from what I have understood:
-Using air without a filter exposes your beer to infection. (and I have had a few batches infected)
-Using Air (~30% O2) is difficult to get greater than 8 ppm, which is the bottom range of dissolved oxygen levels you would want in your wort.
-Pouring a measured amount of a product I can buy from my grocery store for $1.50 is not rocket science.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #27
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
Shaking has yet to fail for me.
TL
On the homebrew level, I am still failing to understand why people look at other aeration methods other than shaking(other than 10+ gallon batches which may be too heavy to shake, but most of us are doing 5 gallons). I am also curious who has ever had a homebrew not fully ferment out and can actually provide proof that the yeast died due to lack of oxygen????

Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #28
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
I will check wikipedia before spouting science
BUUUWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rock in:
KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 12-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #29
Red Clay

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I really don't understand why people go to so much trouble to aerate their wort. This is not rocket science, folks. I usually venturi during transfer, but even if you don't have holes in your transfer hose, you can still just fan the liquid out against the side of the fermenter as it fills up.
Yeah, me too. Just like those guys who started experimenting with burning highly flamable and dangerous petroleum to make a cart move! It was slower than horses, more expensive, more dangerous and noisy to boot. I mean, really, people should just leave well-enough alone.

Okay, that was obviously snarkism, but the point is that the road to progress is paved with people trying stupid things. I love the spirit and don't want to discourage it (as long as appropriate safety measures are taken.)

By the way, I have grave doubts that this will turn out well. But rock on!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:22 AM   #30
pollox87
Recipes 

I kegged it today and there were no off flavors I could detect. Actually the ferment was so clean I think It may have had too much O2, but it was just WLP001 so it is clean anyway. I tried it again today with two batches but cut the amount of H2O2 in half. We will see how these turn out.

brew on.

Quick Reply