Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How would you go cheap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #61
Wyrmwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Interestingly, since I got into this hobby, I think I spend way more on commercial beer than I did before. I used to buy a case of beer from Costco, usually Sam Adams or New Belgium every few weeks or so, and I ran out all the time. Now, I buy all kinds of imports; Belgians, English, Scottish, et al and I buy all the locals, New Belgium, Bristol, Left Hand, Odell's, growlers from Trinity, Phantom Canyon, Colorado Mountain Brewery so, I guess I spend a lot more on beer than I did before home brewing, but I also appreciate it more and enjoy it. Do I spend more money than before? Probably not. I just spend it on beer now I mean, I'm working with the same discretionary spending as before But now, I'm never out of beer and have increased my intake to about a quart a day.

EDIT: You know, I came up with a "cheap beer" recipe a while back and I've never attempted to make it. I was curious if I could make something for < $10 that my BMC friends would like, but have never bothered to follow through. On the other hand, I have bought LME in bulk as well as hops, so my latest 6 batches are on average 6% ABV and ran me about $25/batch. That's including everything, so not too bad.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #62
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've probably spend $500 on equipment so far (including kegging system) and then another $500 on ingredients. So that's $1000. I've made 15 batches of beer, approx 45 bottles each after trub loss etc (I keg, but anyway).

That's $1.48 per beer including equipment cost, or $8.88 per six pack- which is just about what a decent six pack costs at the store where I live.

If you take out the equipment factor, the price goes down to about $0.75 per beer, or $4.44 for a six pack. Since I've already bought all the equipment, every beer I brew now costs me way, way less than going to the store.

So for me, it IS about money now. I can't even buy BMC for the price of my homebrews.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #63
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

I think I figured that I am currently making beer at around $1-1.50 per beer when you factor in all the equipment and ingredients. That's pretty good for having brewed a little less than two years.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #64
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlenkerla View Post
you do it because you love it and its better than watching the crap on tv!

+1

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #65
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I'm so tired of smug brewers saying "if saving money is why you brew, you're brewing for the wrong reasons." That's silly. There's a slew of reasons to brew (to intoxicate oneself, to express oneself creatively, to produce beer that better than your small town's poor commercial selection, to save money, community , etc). Don't elevate your motivation to brew over those of other people. I enjoy brewing as a pastime, but it saves me hundreds of dollars a year compared to buying comparable commercial beer. If my sole motivation for brewing beer was because it's the only way I can afford to drink well, what the hell's wrong that? If my primary concern was producing "cheap" beer, then it sounds like I'm in the RIGHT hobby doing things CORRECTLY. Suck it snobs. Let others value this hobby for the many different benefits it produces, and stop acting like there is a "right way" to value homebrewing.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #66
geezerpk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
I'm so tired of smug brewers saying "if saving money is why you brew, you're brewing for the wrong reasons." That's silly…
+1, Amen. Nice post. I see no conflict between brewing great beer and doing it in a manner that's easy on the wallet, too — if that pleases you. I came from a thrifty family, and inherited the trait. I find pleasure in finding ways and means of making tasty brews that balance the budget, too. Most of my AG efforts come in for $18-$20 for a 5 gallon batch. Of course I don't dive into any exotic ones that require 3/4 lbs. of hops, etc. I'm not super-cheap — but I estimate I've spent about $350 of basic equipment so far, and have probably recovered a major part of that investment already. Once that's cleared, I estimate that my per bottle costs will level out between 35¢ to 45¢ per bottle.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #67
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Honestly when I got started again on Homebrewing I made the switch from cheap BMC beer and my budget was roughly $15 week for beer. One of the reasons I started again was I wanted the ability to drink "good" beer and not spend much more money. After the initial $400 or so on my all grain equipment I routinely brew 10 gallon batches of good quality beer for roughly $25.

I wash yeast routinely
I'm not a big fan of quadruple imperial double blow your socks of beers
I'm not a huge fan of monster IPA's (hops are getting expensive)
I buy my bittering hops in bulk..($1 per ounce)
I grow my flavor and aroma hops (essentially free)

All that in addition to the fact that I am crazy about beer and beer history and this is the most rewarding hobby I've ever had. I love to cook as well so this is kind of an extension of that. I really enjoy positive feedback, it is very rewarding to me!

Any who...that's my 2 cents!

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #68
geezerpk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgruis View Post

Any who...that's my 2 cents!
With a little thought you could probably cut that down to a penny.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #69
bgruis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpk View Post
With a little thought you could probably cut that down to a penny.
Ha ha ha ....thanks

Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #70
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Compared to the age of this thread and inflation I would say that at least for me, home brewing is far cheaper. Using craigslist and searching around my garage and work I got my AG setup for around 100$ I would say the biggest expense so far has been bottles.

Hardest part for me is trying to balance Gas vs Shipping. Do I sub an ingredient so I don't drive an extra 35 miles, do I order what I want online, or just get the local store to special order. Think I saved more money by working closer with my new LHBS on ordering than driving all over creation for a better deal.

Quick Reply