The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to use yeast from the previous batch??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
RotorHead6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to use yeast from the previous batch??

I'm interested in using my yeast strain from my previous batch. I'm tired of buying yeast every time I want to brew a 5 gal. batch of beer. Can someone help guide me through the steps of this process? Thanks

I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
jdoiv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Well, you can either pitch your beer onto the existing yeast cake or better yet, wash the yeast and store it. Search the wiki and/or the forum for "yeast washing" and I'm sure you will find more info than you thought possible....

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've harvested yeast that I pitched into a batch about a week later with no problem. Of course, yeast washing, proper storage, then starter proofing is the best way. When you rack your beer of primary, you can take some of the yeast out by either swishing the last bit of beer around and then continuing the siphon into a carefully sanitized jar or bottle. You can also get the yeast in suspension by pouring in some sanitary water and doing the same. Refridgerate the yeast to keep it viable. I don't like pitching harvested yeast until I taste the previous beer for contamination.. There's nothing worse than one bad batch except for two.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply