New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to use orange peel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Default How to use orange peel?

Ok, I'm planning on brewing up a Belgian Wit on Thursday, and trying to get the ducks in a row ahead of time. My question is how to prepare the flavorings.

Do I "zest" the orange peel, or simply peel the orange and drop in the boil (at flameout?)

Also, I'm going to use coriander, so do I use a spice/pepper grinder to grind this coarse, or crush it, or what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

Not an expert, but I ordered my orange peel dried from NB. As for the corriander I put it in a bag and crushed it witha rolling pin. Not into a flour but it crushed pretty easily and reletively fine

Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Mirilis
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You will want to use the orange zest, and for coriander i have a mortar and pestle that i use for campden tablets to crush the seeds and dump them in at 2-5 minutes usually

Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

There is a difference between sweet and bitter orange peel. Most wit recipes I have seen call for bitter orange peel. To get bitter witha fresh orange, you will need to zest your orange fairly deep in order to get some of the white pith. Alternatively, you could buy some bitter orange peel from an LHBS. 0.5 ounce, which is probably all you'll need, should be less than $1.

Primary/Secondary: #105 APA, #106 American Wheat

Kegged: #102 Brown, #103 Red, #104 ESB

Planned: IPA, Northern English Brown

Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal
Ok, I'm planning on brewing up a Belgian Wit on Thursday, and trying to get the ducks in a row ahead of time. My question is how to prepare the flavorings.

Do I "zest" the orange peel, or simply peel the orange and drop in the boil (at flameout?)

Also, I'm going to use coriander, so do I use a spice/pepper grinder to grind this coarse, or crush it, or what?
Use the zest and add it between 5 mins and flameout.

For my coriander, I put it in a ziploc and crush them with a rolling pin. Enough to crack the seeds open, but not enough to pulverize them into a black-pepper-like consistency.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I always have preferred the fresh orange zest.

For what it's worth, Here's a quote from July/Aug 2007 BYO mag, Style profile (Witbier) by Jamil Zainasheff:

"The best way to add citrus character is with fresh citrus. The Petrified bits of orange peel often used bay be authentic, but fresh zest has a much brighter character. Select tangerines or oranges with a nice bold, fresh, aroma...Use a citrus zester to peel the very surface of the skin and avoid digging deep into the white pith as it si bitter and lacks citrus character. Measure the zest by weight, targeting about 1 to 2 ounces in a 5 gallon batch."

His recipe is in that article, as well. (calls for 1.5 oz of zest and .4 oz of crushed coriander.)

As for the coriander, he says, "I gently crush the coriander with the back of a heavy spoon to expose the inside of the seeds, which gives it a fairly strong, spicy character versus whole seeds. The level of coriander is probably the area most brewers overshoot, resulting in a really peppery beer. The desired result is a gentle background spicing not an overwhelming one. If you have fairly fresh coriander, start with .4 oz per 5 gallon batch during the last 5 min of boil."

I hope this isn't too long for you! I just happened to have that BYO issue in front of me, as I am working on a Wit recipe now for my next brew. That is a really good article and highly suggested!

Good luck w/ your brew!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

You guys rock! I already bought the coriander, and am ready to crush it on brew day. I forewent the dried peel at the brew store, and bought several oranges and lemons at the store instead.

I'll zest them up during the boil and have some really fresh stuff in there.

Can't wait to make this!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
brandona33
Recipes 

Sounds great! I was contemplating the same thing, and you all saved me from creating this same thread.

Thanks!!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
ItalianTric126
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nearly 4 years later and this thread helped me out so much. I appreciate it guys!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

FYI I brewed a wit last weekend and still use the fresh zest. But I found that using a vegetable peeler is even easier than using the grater. The outer peel comes off in small strips with pretty much no pith.

Quick Reply