Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to transport a bottle conditioned ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
laserghost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default How to transport a bottle conditioned ale

I recently brewed a really nice rye IPA, my first 5 gal batch using all grain. It's pretty tasty, so I invited some friends at work to a tasting the following day during lunch break. I bike to work, and that morning I put a 24 oz bottle in a snug pocket of my backpack on my way to work. Put it in a really cold refrigerator when I got in and went to my desk. The tasting was about 3.5 hours after fridging the beer, but I wonder if it needed more time.

At home the beer has been pouring with pretty good clarity. Not really cloudy, but it was pretty cloudy when I poured it out into 3 cups for the tasting. Also, I feel like the taste wasn't quite as delicious as it is at home straight out of the fridge. This is only my 5th batch, but I'm thinking that the yeast sediment got a little roused during transit, and it needed more time in the fridge to settle back out.

So considering this, is it safe to assume that bottle conditioned beers that are transported by bike (or any other method that's not super smooth) might need a full day in the fridge to settle out before giving to your beer snob friends?

My coworkers were still highly impressed, but they had no reference point to what I have experienced with this brew. I sensed that it wasn't at its peak, but they said they would drink it at pub and it would be as good as the next IPA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserghost View Post
So considering this, is it safe to assume that bottle conditioned beers that are transported by bike (or any other method that's not super smooth) might need a full day in the fridge to settle out before giving to your beer snob friends?
I would absolutely try to give it a full day in the fridge if possible. Any beers you bike over will have sediment kicked up pretty good, guaranteed.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 08-09-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

I doubt one day will be enough, but still better than nothing.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
badhabit
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

First let the brew bottle condition as long as popssible without losing flavor, that will depend on the type. Refrigerate for at least a couple weeks then transport.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
laserghost
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhabit
First let the brew bottle condition as long as popssible without losing flavor, that will depend on the type. Refrigerate for at least a couple weeks then transport.
. . . and if transporting by bike, refrigerate at least a few more day before sharing.

Reason: incorrect characters displaying

Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Growler

Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2672 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 328

You are suffering from the amazing phenomenon where we suddenly don't think our beer is good enough for people, even though in reality it is too good. You are your own worst critic. If you want it to be glimmering it has to be refrigerated for days, and poured straight from the fridge.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
thatjonguy
Now with 57.93% more awesome!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
You are suffering from the amazing phenomenon where we suddenly don't think our beer is good enough for people, even though in reality it is too good. You are your own worst critic. If you want it to be glimmering it has to be refrigerated for days, and poured straight from the fridge.
This. I always think something is off, but my beer geek friends love everything I throw at them.

"That little guy? Don't worry about that little guy."

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
Wait a second! So when my friends tell me that my beer is better than anything they have bought at the store, they aren't just saying that because they feel obligated?!??!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
Wait a second! So when my friends tell me that my beer is better than anything they have bought at the store, they aren't just saying that because they feel obligated?!??!
no they feel obligated. don't get a big head.

Quick Reply