Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > how to stop fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #11
Professor Frink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
The only thing that will truly "kill" yeast is Campden tablets (used as sterilisant in wine) but that will make bottle-carbing impossible. I don't suspect it will drop more than 1 or 2 additional points. I would let it ride out. I just wanted to mention the *possibility* just in case it were to result in bottle bombs. I don't think it *WILL* happen. I'm just putting it out there as a slight factual possibility.
Agreed, but I've read that Campden tablets won't necessarily stop yeast when fermentation really gets going.
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 01:06 AM   #12
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Frink View Post
Agreed, but I've read that Campden tablets won't necessarily stop yeast when fermentation really gets going.
Very possible. I don't know the answer to that. The only time I've tried to use C-den to stop ferment was with Brettanomyces. And it didn't work.

Now that I have a bottle, I pretty much just use C-den to bust the chloramines out of my water before I mash in.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 10-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #13
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Now that I have a bottle, I pretty much just use C-den to bust the chloramines out of my water before I mash in.
It took me a while to learn this, but a very good idea.
On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 10-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #14
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A few Campden tablets plus 1/2tsp per gallon of potassium sorbate will stop fermentation. Search for "stabilizing wine".

If you do this you will want to degas the beer before kegging to remove the excess SO2 from the Campden tabs (it does not taste good). A sanitized mash paddle in the carboy agitating for 2-3 minutes will do the job.

If you do this the yeast will be dead and you will have to force carbonate. If you want to bottle you are out of luck and will have to let the fermentation run its course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply