Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > how to steep grains

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
grrtt78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how to steep grains

I have steeped grains on two recipes, the first a wheat taht i wanted to add some citrus flavor to and the second a stout. it wasnt that important for the wheat so i just heated them in a pot of water to 150 for an hour and dumped out the water into the brewpot and squeezed out the grainbag over the brewpot. i did the same on the stout and it was very light colored and i thought it might be bc i dont really know how to steep grains. anyone wanna show me how?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Heat water to 150°F, Put grains in a big bag, make sure they're a little loose, Make sure they all get nice and soaked, let it sit for 45-60 mins... that's pretty much it... right? sure....

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

While the grains are steeping like omar suggests, heat a gallon or two of water (or more if you can) to 170 F in another pot. When the steeping period is over, remove the grain bag from the steeping kettle and place it in a colander. Hold the colander with the grains over your brew kettle and pour the 170 degree water evenly and somewhat slowly over the grains to rinse them of any remaining sugars and flavors. This step is called "sparging" and ensures that you have maximized the yield from your grains. Avoid squeezing the grain bag - that can extract tannins - bitter flavors that are undesirable.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:08 AM   #4
grrtt78
Recipes 

what exactly is a colander?

Old 01-07-2007, 03:10 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrtt78
what exactly is a colander?
A kitchen strainer, like this:

Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
grrtt78
Recipes 

ooo lol ok i got one of those

Old 01-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is that right? I thought steeping grains had nothing to do with extracting sugars from them.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Is that right? I thought steeping grains had nothing to do with extracting sugars from them.
Steeping grains extracts a small amount of fermentable sugars (maybe a couple gavity points worth), but it's main function is adding flavor and color and body (in the case of crystal malts).

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would steep at 155 to 160 degrees for 30-60 mins depending on the style. Longer for darker beers. Be careful listening to others. Steeping is not the same thing as mashing and you want to keep your temps between 150 and 160 degrees so that you do not extract Tannins from the grain.

If you rinse the grains with 170 degree water then you are pushing the envelope as far as tannin extraction. I really do not see the reason to rinse with water that is hotter than the steep temp. Why risk extracting bitter tannins...............I rinse my grains with 158 degree water which is the same temp I steep at.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjones31
I would steep at 155 to 160 degrees for 30-60 mins depending on the style. Longer for darker beers. Be careful listening to others. Steeping is not the same thing as mashing and you want to keep your temps between 150 and 160 degrees so that you do not extract Tannins from the grain.

If you rinse the grains with 170 degree water then you are pushing the envelope as far as tannin extraction. I really do not see the reason to rinse with water that is hotter than the steep temp. Why risk extracting bitter tannins...............I rinse my grains with 158 degree water which is the same temp I steep at.
There's this guy. Goes by the name of Papazian. Methinks he'd disagree with you.

When I started brewing, I was doing extract w/ steeped grains. Papazian's extract recipes call for 170f water for 30 minutes. That's what I did. Same goes for sparging water. I never had any problems with tannins, and I think it would suffice to say that Charlie didn't either, or else he wouldn't have advised as such in his book. Maybe you've had problems, personally, with tannins @ 170f, but I don't think that that's common. From what I understand, you have to go up another 10 degrees at least to have any problems with tannin extraction.

What I do know is that 170f is hot enough to shut down the enzymes, so sugar conversion will be minimal---that's why it's called steeping, because it's not mashing. Lastly, I think the reason why Papazian recommends 170f is because it extracts more color and flavor in a shorter period of time than 158f water does.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply