Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to properly carbonate a Corny Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default How to properly carbonate a Corny Keg

Hi, can someone please help me. I need simple directions in how to charge a corny keg using a co2. I have put about 3 rounds of 30psi "doses" into the keg and shock it around and let it sit for about 2 days. What next? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

1. Set the regulator for the desired pressure.
2. Wait a couple of weeks.
3. Enjoy!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

do I release the pressure then set to the desired psi?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
do I release the pressure then set to the desired psi?
Probably. Shaking it and setting at a high pressure may very well overcarb it, so you will want to purge it, place it in the kegerator and set it at 10-12 psi for a week or so.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
JayWeezie
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Purge the Co2 out. Then set to ur serving pressure between 8 and 12psi. Then let it sit for a few hours then pull the tap.
I found that helps reduce the foam when it is over-carbed. Which it sounds like it could be.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
1. Set the regulator for the desired pressure.
2. Wait a couple of weeks.
3. Enjoy!
1.5: Chill.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Did you carb when cold? If not 30 psi at room temp will not be close to carbed much less over . If cold below 50* yes bleed of set regulator to 6psi if not enough bring up slowly til you get what you are looking for. Or set to 12psi leave cold for 2 weeks and tap .....set it and forget it always a good thing.......my .02

Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the temperature you force carbed at is in the mid 30's, vent and reset pressure to serving pressure and in a day it will be ready.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
jjward101
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but I just started kegging myself, and i read the kegging thread located here and here seem to indicate that when keg carbing, you should set it to 30 psi or so for 2 to three days, purge the tank, and then drop to serving pressure and the beer can be ready inside of 4 days.

My understanding, is that if you are going to force carb, you should still set it to 30 psi, and every few hours roll the keg, shake, etc... to fill the headspace with more co2 to carb with, eventually causing the beer to absorb enough co2 to carb it. I am hoping that I am understanding this properly, since I have 2 kegs currently being force carbed this way with the intentions of serving them this weekend. I do realize that there is a slight risk of over carbing, but I think that as long as i monitor the situation, dropping the psi as needed I should be able to be good to go for Saturday....Am I wrong?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjward101 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but I just started kegging myself, and i read the kegging thread located here and here seem to indicate that when keg carbing, you should set it to 30 psi or so for 2 to three days, purge the tank, and then drop to serving pressure and the beer can be ready inside of 4 days.

My understanding, is that if you are going to force carb, you should still set it to 30 psi, and every few hours roll the keg, shake, etc... to fill the headspace with more co2 to carb with, eventually causing the beer to absorb enough co2 to carb it. I am hoping that I am understanding this properly, since I have 2 kegs currently being force carbed this way with the intentions of serving them this weekend. I do realize that there is a slight risk of over carbing, but I think that as long as i monitor the situation, dropping the psi as needed I should be able to be good to go for Saturday....Am I wrong?
There is absolutley no need to roll or shake your keg. As long as your beer is in the mid to low 30's then set it at 30psi for 2 days, vent, set at serv pressure for 2 days.(and you don't have to be perfect) You may have to adjust up or down for your personal carbonation prefrence but you will be pretty damn close with the method described.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 

Quick Reply