Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How To Pasteurize Fruit???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Hex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Fruit is commonly sanitized with sulfites- one campden tablet crushed and dissolved in a little (1/4 cup) boiling water and poured over the fruit. Cover, and let sit 24 hours and then use the fruit and juice.
This +2, but I would not cover it airtight, just drape a clean linen over your open vessel so that the sulfites will evaporate and not stay in the fruit and shock your yeast when added to the fermented cider.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffywiffy

I heard if there are certain ingrediants in the cider it will cause the bottles to explode
I don't know about "ingredients", but if your cider gets a maltolactic fermentation several months down the road it can drop an unexpected couple gravity points and bomb. I really doubt this will happen from a kit though, its more of an issue with fresh pressed cider. I have a batch that this is definitely happening with, and the other 4 carboys have not yet had it happen (none of it is bottled at the moment)

Old 11-19-2011, 04:31 AM   #13
DMartin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManifesto
i think freezing them (makes them easier to "juice" for the yeast) and then simmering them for around 20 min should take care of most anything.
If you cook your fruit you're gonna get pectin all up in your must and then your wine will be cloudy. Pectic Enzyme is a must when making wines from fruit, it helps break down the pectin. You still don't want to cook it though.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
spiffywiffy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Um... the same things that can make beer bottles explode, really - infections, adding too much sugar, unfinished fermentation.

Some people are paranoid that cider that's been stabilized with sorbate and sulfites (in order to backsweeten) will suddenly start fermenting again, but that's not really relevant, because anybody who stabilizes their cider and doesn't have a keg setup is actually intending for their cider to be STILL, not sparkling.

So yeah. Just make sure that the cider's done fermenting, and then prime with sugar like you would with beer.
OK, so just prime with regular corn sugar like i would with beer, huh? sounds simple enough. It also calls for something after the yeast settles and before carbonation, when adding the flavoring mix it also calls for Liquid Invert Sugars. What is this? Do I need this? When I bought this from the brewing store i go to they said i had everything i needed.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Pasteurizing is for losers...Don't bother. Let it be. All natural cider is best.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #16
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrisby View Post
I like to do what Calder described but in a food saver bag so I don't have to add the water to the fermenter and dilute the beer.
I like that idea. I might try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Fruit is commonly sanitized with sulfites- one campden tablet crushed and dissolved in a little (1/4 cup) boiling water and poured over the fruit. Cover, and let sit 24 hours and then use the fruit and juice.
It has been 25 years since I made any wine (cider apart), and can't remember anything. I'm sure you don't pour the boiling liquid over the fruit. I would be interested in a very simple explanation of how to sanitize fruit to add to beer using campden tablets. Also, I have some Campden tablets that are over 25 years old, just kept in the bottle, are they any use, or should I just toss them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManifesto View Post
i think freezing them (makes them easier to "juice" for the yeast) and then simmering them for around 20 min should take care of most anything.
Simmering fruit will set the pectins and cause a haze.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffywiffy View Post
OK, so just prime with regular corn sugar like i would with beer, huh? sounds simple enough. It also calls for something after the yeast settles and before carbonation, when adding the flavoring mix it also calls for Liquid Invert Sugars. What is this? Do I need this? When I bought this from the brewing store i go to they said i had everything i needed.
Just prime with regular (table) sugar. Alternatively, prime with 1 cup (half pint) of store bought apple juice per gallon.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #18
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder
Also, I have some Campden tablets that are over 25 years old, just kept in the bottle, are they any use, or should I just toss them?
I was going to buy a large bottle of these from my LHBS, and I was advised to not purchase for than I could use in a year or two. Evidently they can expire, and at $2.50 for 100 its hardly an expense.

Quick Reply