Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How To Pasteurize Fruit???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
spiffywiffy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How To Pasteurize Fruit???

Hey everyone, this is my first at attempting to do more them just a simple extract kit. Im making a hard cider for my wife and want to know exactly what "pasteurizing" the fruit is lol.. Im going to be using store bought frozen blackberries.. this a 6 gallon batch. I've searched around on the forums and with my luck can't seem to find exactly how to do it. I want to add it to my primary fermentation considering this will be a "still" cider not "sparkling" because i don't have excess to Co2 kind of stuff. Im using a Vinoka CiderPress Cider Kit with Hard Lemonade flavoring . I just want to keep the SWBMO happy, you know?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For milk, the process involves heating to 145 degrees and holding at that temperature for 30 minutes, or heating to 162 degrees and holding for 16 seconds.

I'm not sure about fruit. Howevr, frozen blackberries may already be treated with potassium sorbate (or is it potassium metabisulfite?). Check the label.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffywiffy
Hey everyone, this is my first at attempting to do more them just a simple extract kit. Im making a hard cider for my wife and want to know exactly what "pasteurizing" the fruit is lol.. Im going to be using store bought frozen blackberries.. this a 6 gallon batch. I've searched around on the forums and with my luck can't seem to find exactly how to do it. I want to add it to my primary fermentation considering this will be a "still" cider not "sparkling" because i don't have excess to Co2 kind of stuff. Im using a Vinoka CiderPress Cider Kit with Hard Lemonade flavoring . I just want to keep the SWBMO happy, you know?
Pasteurizing the fruit is unnecessary. Do you have Star San? You can always soak the fruit in some Star San if you're really concerned...

Couple things...

1) If you are adding fruit to the primary, do it after the cider has finished fermenting. Not only will it help prevent infection, but less of the fruit's aromatics will blow off.

2) You can make sparkling cider without any kegging/CO2 setup by adding some sugar to the cider right before bottling.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Pasteurizing the fruit is unnecessary.
The alcohol will probably protect the cider from most things, but you can still get an infection.

I like to add the fruit to a little water and heat gently to about 150 F and hold for about 10 minutes to pasturize the fruit.. Don't heat too high or you will set pectins and get a cloudy cider.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 146 Posts

I like to do what Calder described but in a food saver bag so I don't have to add the water to the fermenter and dilute the beer.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
spiffywiffy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Pasteurizing the fruit is unnecessary. Do you have Star San? You can always soak the fruit in some Star San if you're really concerned...

Couple things...

1) If you are adding fruit to the primary, do it after the cider has finished fermenting. Not only will it help prevent infection, but less of the fruit's aromatics will blow off.

2) You can make sparkling cider without any kegging/CO2 setup by adding some sugar to the cider right before bottling.
I heard if there are certain ingrediants in the cider it will cause the bottles to explode

Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Fruit is commonly sanitized with sulfites- one campden tablet crushed and dissolved in a little (1/4 cup) boiling water and poured over the fruit. Cover, and let sit 24 hours and then use the fruit and juice.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Fruit is commonly sanitized with sulfites- one campden tablet crushed and dissolved in a little (1/4 cup) boiling water and poured over the fruit. Cover, and let sit 24 hours and then use the fruit and juice.
This.

I mean, if heating was a desirable way to sanitize fruit, you'd see winemakers and cidermakers heating their juice/must (which is EXTRA-vulnerable, since there's no alcohol yet), and yet it never happens.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffywiffy

I heard if there are certain ingrediants in the cider it will cause the bottles to explode
Um... the same things that can make beer bottles explode, really - infections, adding too much sugar, unfinished fermentation.

Some people are paranoid that cider that's been stabilized with sorbate and sulfites (in order to backsweeten) will suddenly start fermenting again, but that's not really relevant, because anybody who stabilizes their cider and doesn't have a keg setup is actually intending for their cider to be STILL, not sparkling.

So yeah. Just make sure that the cider's done fermenting, and then prime with sugar like you would with beer.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i think freezing them (makes them easier to "juice" for the yeast) and then simmering them for around 20 min should take care of most anything.

Quick Reply