Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How much yeast is too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
hialtitude
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much yeast is too much?

I have always brewed with store bought yeast and want to begin washing and reusing yeast for obvious reasons. I have a friend who works at a local micro who told me I can come in and fill a growler with yeast slurry today. How much should I pitch? What, if any, are the problems with pitching too much yeast? Any insight on this would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is a great resource:
http://www.mrmalty.com/pitching.php

and an associated calculator:
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

That's great that you can get volumes of fresh yeast from a micro. I would be tempted to divide it up into pitchable amounts, and refrigerate/freeze what you don't use so that you have lots on hand, unless your buddy doesn't mind you coming back frequently.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
hialtitude
Recipes 

Those are great links, thanks!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I'd personally pitch in about a 1/2 cup of slurry for a low to mid gravity 5 gallon batch. 1 cup for high grav.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply