*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How Much Washed Yeast to Use for 1 Liter Starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Jewrican
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default How Much Washed Yeast to Use for 1 Liter Starter?

So I have been doing each of my 5 batches so far without a starter and want to start doing one. I have washed the yeast from each of the batches that had yeast i could reuse often.

Now that I have 4 mason jars of the yeast (from the yeast washing thread) in the fridge sleeping, how much of the yeast do I use for a 1 liter starter? I understand that I will be using about 1/2 cup of DME and about 16 oz of water, but I dont understand how much yeast to use from my mason jars. How many ml do you use of washed yeast with the 1 liter starter?

I looked at Mr. Malty's but it is mainly for wyeast or white labs and the slurry tab didnt make sense.

Thanks for the help. I tried to search but did not find what i was looking for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

All you need is one jar's worth.

Carefully pour off and discard the liquid from one of your jars, leaving a little in there on top of the yeast cake. Put the lid back on, shake it up, and then pour the slurry into your starter. Good to go.

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Old 01-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

but i have some mason jars with LOTS of yeast and some with not as much. I would think that since you dont want to over or underpitch, that i would need a certain amount. I have some that are damn near half full of yeast..crazy

They are certainly more than a tube of wyeast

Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #4
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

Wow that seems like a lot... I've never had anywhere close to that much in a jar. You followed ye' ole http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/ guide? I don't think "overpitching" into a starter would matter, but maybe someone else can chime in on this?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am more worried about when I pitch the starter. Is there a ml amount of yeast I should use. I used those instructions from the washing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolickingmonkey View Post
Wow that seems like a lot... I've never had anywhere close to that much in a jar. You followed ye' ole http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/ guide? I don't think "overpitching" into a starter would matter, but maybe someone else can chime in on this?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've calculated that about 7 mL of healthy, fresh slurry (or cake, etc), is about the ideal amount to pitch into a 1 liter starter. I generally go with about 10 to be on the safe side, as I harvest from the yeast cake after my batches are done (so I'm probably getting some break and other refuse in there). Have had excellent results using these numbers.

From what I understand, one can overpitch a starter. Essentially what happens is that the starter gets super saturated with yeast, and rather than reproduce (which is what you want), they go directly into fermentation. This leaves you with tired, geriatric yeast cells that will not perform as well when compared to specimens from a properly pitched starter.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 01-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan View Post
From what I understand, one can overpitch a starter. Essentially what happens is that the starter gets super saturated with yeast, and rather than reproduce (which is what you want), they go directly into fermentation. This leaves you with tired, geriatric yeast cells that will not perform as well when compared to specimens from a properly pitched starter.
Makes sense. I love HBT... I learn new stuff here everyday!

Quick Reply