Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How much time on stirplate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
jackson_d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How much time on stirplate?

I built Anthony's stirplate. Once i got it working, its great! I only cooked up my second starter on it last night. There are a ton of yeasties in there right now and lots of foam. Looks ready to go. When i was just shaking the starters in the past, I would prepare them about 48 hours before pitching. Last time i used the stirplate, it looked like the starter was already calming down after 48 hours.

So do you cut a day off the starter if you are using the stirplate? Do i only need 24 hours? looks like it to me, but I'm only on m,y second starter with the plate....

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
eddiemeddiem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've had pretty good luck with about 36 hours on the stirplate. I make it two nights before I'm going to brew, and let it stir away for a day and a half. Then I take it off the plate and put it in the fridge the morning of the day I brew so the yeast will settle out. When I get home from work, I'll take it out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temp while I'm brewing. By the time I decant and pitch, it's ready to go.

I've never had a batch of beer that wasn't fermenting away the morning after pitching!

-Eddie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply