New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How much fermentable sugar in cranberries?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How much fermentable sugar in cranberries?

So, I made a belgian dubbel last week. After fermentation was done, I made some cranberry puree from fresh cranberries, added it to the empty secondary carboy, and racked the dubbel right on top.

Now, I figured that there would be some fermentation starting back up...but nothing so far. I know that cranberries are sour, but there's gotta be a modicum of fermentables in there. Anyone have any idea?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Corbin
Recipes 

I have tried to ferment using cranberries before and failed. I imagine that the cranberries will impart flavor into the beer, which might be nice. Maybe you'll have better luck finding fermentables in cranberries than I did, but I'm not convinced that cranberries have enough sugar to make a significant meal for yeast.

-Corbin

Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

Cranberries are less than 5% sugar. They are considered a free food for diabetics. No idea of how much is fermentable, but you aren't starting with much.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, that's actually the news I was hoping to hear! I don't necessarily want another fermentation, given that, after adding the cranberry puree, my beer now comes up to the neck of the carboy. I made a blowoff setup just in case, but it's good to know that there probably won't be any more significant activity in there. The flavor is really what I was going for, but I was prepared for the side-effect of more fermentation...

Anyone have any experience with cranberries in the secondary? Do the skins have a substantial amount of tannins? Should I leave the beer on the cranberry for long, or rack after a week or two?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've made 2 batches of a Cranberry Ale that have turned out well, its been very popular. I basically brew my extract, pour wort into fermenter and add a pound or so of thawed cranberries. So far the beers have been a light beer with a hint of tart cranberry with good aroma. My only issue has been the cranberry skin has gotten into some bottles but think this can prevented going forward. But as said, this has been successful for me.

I like to use the cranberries as my father in law manages a cranberry marsh thus I have good access to berries and its something different.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you add enough they'll ferment. I put 6+ pounds in a lambic and while i didn't get a krausen or anything there's been lots of bubbles produced.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just do a Google search for "nutrition facts cranberries." You'll be able to calculate exactly how much sugar you're adding.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale
Quadro (quadrotriticale ale)
Beer of Honor
Black Bat'Leth Stout
Targ's Blood Nut Brown Ale
Supersecret sour beer experiment v1.0

Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just made a cranberry wheat. 1.052 OG used half wheat malt and half pilsner. I also added some 20L Crystal, little Vienna and roasted barley for color. Hopped to 18 ibu with perle.

Three pounds of crushed cranberry was thrown in the primary. After it was chilled I poured the wort into the bed of cranberries. Then pitched WB-06.

Waiting it out now.....

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply