Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How much faster?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
BrewerDon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default How much faster?

I've heard of people doing smaller batches for many reasons. One reason that I heard about recently was so that this person could brew more batches without taking shortcuts on his process.

At first, this made no sense to me. How could someone brew more batches by going smaller? How does *that* save time? Then it hit me - the time is saved by quicker heating and cooling. Strike water can be heated quicker, runnings can be brought to a boil quicker, and the hot wort can be chilled quicker. Transfers are quicker too.

Interesting idea, especially if your goal is to make a wider variety of beers.

I currently do all 5 gallon batches. This person does 2 gallon batches. So here is my question:

Assuming all other process steps are the same, does anyone have a good estimate for how much time would be saved by doing a 2 gallon batch compared to a 5 gallon batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 83

the answer varies, it can take some people 6 hrs to brew 5 gallons and others can crank it out in 4 by prepping as much as they can the day before, extract will probably be quicker than all grain. i brew 5 gallons at a time every weekend or every other weekend and that keeps my pipeline very full so if i take a break for a few weeks it does not mean running out of beer.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 144

I take it another way- most brewers agree cleaning is the worst part. How much are you reducing cleaning time by doing a smaller batch- very little unless you have a special kettle for that small batch. I enjoy watching the mash tun, with a good burner heating time is not that long overall.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Depends on your equipment and process. Going to 2 gal batch won't save much time at all if you have a strong burner and a wort chiller.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
SimonHucko
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 12

for my regular AG setup, I can knock out a 5 gal batch on my propane burner outside in roughly 4-4.5 hours depending on recipe. for small 1 gallon batches, I can do them BIAB no sparge on the stove inside in less than 3, and cleanup is super easy. not a huge time savings, per se, but the effort required is a lot less (much easier to move 1-2gal of liquid around than 6-8, less grain, etc). it also keeps me from freezing my ass off in our cold detached garage. and, there's a time savings when you go to bottle, as you only have a 12-pack or so to do.

that said, I don't do small batches very often, usually only for experimental stuff. I really should do more.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

I haven't noticed much difference in brew time since I dropped down from 5gl to 2.5gl, maybe a little less time in chilling and cleanup. Fermentation seems a little quicker with smaller batches.

I can say BIAB has dropped my brew time from a 3 vessel system by about an hour.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
dryboroughbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Making BIAB 1 gallon batches on my 'pilot system' (3 gallon pot and a paint strainer bag, oven mash) is pretty appreciably faster than doing my usual10 gallon batches. However, it is not 10 times faster, that being said what it is great for is testing some of my more 'creative' concepts.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

I do All Grain and my time spent per gallon produced is only 30 minutes per gallon!

I do 11 gallon batches every time now because it saves me time! Prepping my gear and cleaning up takes the most actual time in brewing for me...the rest of the time is just watching my timer for each step.

I can make 11 gallons of all-grain beer from prep to cleaning in 5 hours flat. I can make 5.5 gallons of the same beer in 4.5 hours so I only spend another 30 minutes of time to make twice as much product. The only way smaller batches would save time per gallon produced is if I did all extract on my kitchen stove with much less equipment to clean.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
b-boy
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I don't think there is a noticable time savings just doing smaller batches. I haven't seen it. Most of the times I've reduced time on brew day were when I shifted some of my prep time to the night before. I ddin't really save time. I just moved it around.

I usually do double batches to save time. It adds an extra hour or so to my day, but I can do 2 types of beer. All I need is an extra mash tun and pot. I usually do a big beer and a session beer.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 32

It does not save much in the way of time. The reason they say they can brew more batches is because there is less room taken up by bottles. When I was doing 5 gal extract batches from start to finish brew time was ~3 hours from "I'm going to brew today let me grab my stuff( assuming I had a kit on hand)" and 1.5 gal AG was ~3 hour( about 30 minutes longer for 3 gal batches). So really no time saved by going smaller. But with the 1.5 gal batches I get 14 beers per batch, with 5 gal I get 48. I can have 3.5 time more types of beer in the fridge. And the best part is I get to brew more often.

Primary: House Bitter
Bottled: Can't keep track
Up coming beers:

Quick Reply