Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How the mashing process works

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
gerrg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How the mashing process works

Hey everyone. Someone suggested that I try to make an oatmeal stout beer, Lil' Sparky's receipt. it requires mashing though and I've never done that before. Can anyone give me some pointers or give advice? Thanks!

peace
-gw

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

It requires some equipment upgrades and is a more detailed process than extract w/ steeping grains. Read this section of how to brew. It'll probably be easier(and cheaper) to convert the recipe to extract w/ grains or even a partial mash

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-23-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You don't have to mash to make an oatmeal stout. You can just steep your oats in 150-160° water for 20 minutes, then use extract.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would recommend you do a partial mash. It will introduce you to mashing in a small scale without the need for alot more equipment. You will get more flavour, fermentables and body if you mash the oats rather then steeping them. Check out the wiki for how to do it.

GT

Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrg
Hey everyone. Someone suggested that I try to make an oatmeal stout beer, Lil' Sparky's receipt. it requires mashing though and I've never done that before. Can anyone give me some pointers or give advice? Thanks!

peace
-gw
Just to give you a brief idea here, when you steep grains you extract some color and flavor from the grains you've got. It makes a nice grain tea that gives an extract based beer a fresher taste and color, but it adds little to no fermentables to your wort.

The process of mashing actually takes controlled temperatures for a longer amount of time than steeping. More importantly, mashing to get fermentable sugars out of the grains will take a specific type of enzyme to do the work. John Palmer's "How to Brew" says this in the glossary:
"Amylase - An enzyme group that converts starches to sugars, consisting primarily of alpha and beta amylase. Also referred to as the diastatic enzymes."
You need a specific ratio of base grains, such as 2 row malt, or Marris Otter or Golden Promise, etc. to produce these Amylase that will in turn mash the other grains too.

It sounds complicated, but there's plenty of calculators available to figure out how much of any base grains, and at what temps you'll need to mash.
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
flowerysong

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2brew
Just to give you a brief idea here, when you steep grains you extract some color and flavor from the grains you've got. It makes a nice grain tea that gives an extract based beer a fresher taste and color, but it adds little to no fermentables to your wort.
With oats you'd be adding a lot of unconverted starch to the wort if you just steeped it. Ideally oats, corn, rice, and unmalted barley or wheat should all be mashed with a base malt.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
FatDuc

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerysong
With oats you'd be adding a lot of unconverted starch to the wort if you just steeped it. Ideally oats, corn, rice, and unmalted barley or wheat should all be mashed with a base malt.
Not to sound like a jerk here, but did you read my whole post?

ETA:
I'm re-reading my reply here and just want to make sure I don't sound like an a$$. The OP doesn't even actually list the grains he intends to steep. He may be steeping more than just oats, but you are correct that simply steeping the oats would just add starch. I may not have been clear enough in stating the reason I put a definition of amylase up, but it would in fact take the act of mashing the base malts I spoke of along with the oats to make the starches from the oats fermentable. Sorry if I sounded like I am a pro, or if I spoke/typed condescendingly. I'm still a noob myself, but I am reading all I can.

Matt
Quote:
A child-like man is not a man whose development has been arrested; on the contrary, he is a man who has given himself a chance of continuing to develop long after most adults have muffled themselves in the cocoon of middle-aged habit and convention. Aldous Huxley
Fat Duc Brewing
Special Character cheatsheets

Last edited by FatDuc; 01-24-2008 at 04:07 AM.

Quick Reply