Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How many of us roast our own grains?

View Poll Results: Do you roast your own grains
Yes! 9 27.27%
No 24 72.73%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #11
JohnP24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds interesting. Would a coffee roaster work or is it too hot? I suppose one could try it for the cost of 1lb of 2 row it wouldn't break your bank and its not like the final product couldn't be used unless burnt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

That is slick!!! Now I can just buy a sack of two row or Marris and roast some to darken up the brew and add the roasty taste without owning shares in the LHBS I think the effort will definately be worth it considering the prices of specialty grains and delivery times. I will add it to my brewing capabilities list, along with growing hops. Tried last season to start some rhizomes and they failed. So I will have to try that again later.

Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
philber
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP24 View Post
Sounds interesting. Would a coffee roaster work or is it too hot? I suppose one could try it for the cost of 1lb of 2 row it wouldn't break your bank and its not like the final product couldn't be used unless burnt.
I really wanted to try this, my Parents have one, but they live far away. Next time I visit I will have a half pound of 2-row with me to test

Please post you results if you do try it!

Fermenting: Golden Ale, APA
Kegged: Kolsh, Coal Porter, Sweet Stout, Seltzer Water

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
philber

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoung1980 View Post
This is definitely something I want to try in the near future. My thought process, correct me if I'm wrong, is that I can buy domestic 2-row cheap and roast it to make my specialty grains. My LHBS sells 50 pound sacks of Rahr for $35 and if I can roast this, all the better. I'm constantly trying to reduce costs.
I have been buy bulk grains for a year now, Canadian 2-row is $29 for 50#. So much easier having it ready when you need it. Last summer I kept driving 30 minutes each way just to buy 1-2# of chocolate or 60L. Glad that is a thing of the past.

History: Irish Red, Brown Ale, Czech Plsner, Boddingtons, Saizon Dupont, American Amber, Hefe 2-Row, Cream Ale, SWMBO Slayer, BMC, Midwest Porter Kit, Irish Stout, Coal Porter, Miller Lite, Nut Brown Ale, IPA

Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts

Does roasting your own malts destroy any of the starches in the grains? Do you lose some sugar potential?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Does roasting your own malts destroy any of the starches in the grains? Do you lose some sugar potential?
I haven't noticed any losses in efficiency using my home roasted malt. I'm sure the longer you roast say for Brown or chocolate malt you well have a reduction in the grains potential probably 1.033-1.024 instead of a possible 2-Row yield of 1.036-1.038

Home roastings pretty fun, I make quite a bit of the grain in the 30-60 range like barleypopmakers amber and deep amber.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
philber

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Yes, some of the sugars are destroyed with a darker roast. The roasted grains are for color and flavor. Somewhere in the links I provided in post one talks about that. However, with the crystal you are essentially re-malting the grains and getting more sugar.

It is amazing to taste the difference of regular malt, amber, chocolate and crystal. i throw 1-2 grains in my mouth and I can now visualize what the malt will do to the beer. plus it is handy for when you find a bag of malt in the fridge and you forgot to label it

Quick Reply