Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How Many IBU's for my Pale Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
ThinkinDavid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How Many IBU's for my Pale Ale?

I have 4 oz. of whole hop Goldings at 5% a.a. and 2 oz. of Spalt at 2% a.a. I was ready to throw them all in evenly in three different intervals but after calculating the IBU's I'm getting a pretty high number (79 IBU). My idea behind the amount and kind of hops comes from Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. He suggests using lots of low % a.a. hops rather than a little bit of high a.a. I like hops but I find the extreme cat-piss/grapefruit flavor too much sometimes, so while I wouldn't mind having a pretty hoppy pale ale, I also don't want it to be ridiculous. So when is the IBU too high in a pale ale? My recipe is pretty simple, all extract with a pre-boil tea of crystal and biscuit. I might add a half pound brown sugar during fermentation, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The BJCP style guidelines show IBUs for a pale ale between 30 and 45. They are just guidelines and going a little higher is not a big deal. Once you start going over 50 or so, you will need some more malt to help balance the beer to keep it from getting overly hoppy.

Ed

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmasters Warehouse View Post
They are just guidelines and going a little higher is not a big deal.

Ed
Thanks for the awesome reference Brewmasters Warehouse. I now know a good range to try to keep my IBU's in, but I'm still wondering how these low alpha acid hops are going to affect my beer. The whole point in my getting them was so that I could make my beer real nice and hoppy without having to worry about that harsh, grainy high alpha acid hop taste.

Right now I'm thinking of aiming for the mid 50's with my IBU's, and if need be I'll add a little more malt or some kind of sugar (any suggestions?), I have 7 1/4 pounds of light extract at the moment. I wouldn't mind turning this into a slightly Extra Pale Ale (anyone had Odells seasonal?).

Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 11

As a comparison, Bell's Two Hearted is around 55 IBUs just to give you some idea what your numbers mean. Based on what you say you want, I don't think you are going to be very happy with 79 IBUs unless ending up with an IPA is something that you like. However, like Ed said, you will need to account for that and bump your malt character to give you some balance.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 07-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinDavid View Post
Right now I'm thinking of aiming for the mid 50's with my IBU's, and if need be I'll add a little more malt or some kind of sugar (any suggestions?), I have 7 1/4 pounds of light extract at the moment. I wouldn't mind turning this into a slightly Extra Pale Ale (anyone had Odells seasonal?).

You can find all of the style guidelines at BJCP. With the mid 50s you may not need to adjust anything and let the beer just be more hoppy. If you go higher than you would need more malt. Stay away from sugar in a pale ale as it will only dry it out.

This is a good reference guide to use when trying to decide how hoppy the beer is going to turn out.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've never been a big fan of that chart and find it to be too vague. I guess it's a good very general guide, but a 1.055 brew with 37 IBU's is not something I would consider "extra hoppy." Especially if there's a good level of Crystal malt in there. But we all experience beer differently, so that's just me.
To the OP - I think a well spread out addition of those hops in the range you're thinking of will work out pretty nicely.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I agree the chart is just a general guide. I use it more for malty and balanced beers than I do for Pale Ales and IPAs. I am a pretty big hophead so it needs to be extra hoppy by the chart before I would consider a beer hoppy. When I make IPAs the chart does not help as I shoot for between 75-100 IBUs pretty consistently. A lot of taste is perception that is different from person to person so a chart like this loses some value.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I've never been a big fan of that chart and find it to be too vague. I guess it's a good very general guide, but a 1.055 brew with 37 IBU's is not something I would consider "extra hoppy."
To the OP - I think a well spread out addition of those hops in the range you're thinking of will work out pretty nicely.
jacksonbrown, I think this is the advice I've been looking for. I appcreciat the graph from Brewmasters but I'm not sure how much I should trust it. Like you said, what they consider "extra hoppy" doesn't seem very hoppy. Then there is the fact that the actual IBU is not the same as percieved bitterness. The whole point in my experiement here is to play with higher quantities of low-alpha hops; the chart does not seem to take this into consideration. The inspiration for this comes from Randy Mosher who suggests, "If you want a nice hop flavor and aroma, use high quality low-alpha hops, and lots of 'em" (Radical Brewing 52). Like I've said, I like hoppy, I just don't want to ruin my beer with that raw flavor of high-alpha hops. And with that said, I don't want my pale ale to be under hopped, either.

So here's what I'm still wondering which I don't think has been answered: by bringing my IBU's up to, say, 60-70 with low-alpha hops will I be turing my pale ale into an IPA, or could it be that even at such IBU levels it will turn out perfectly hopped with low alpha hops?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

What calculation are you using? When I dump all your hops in at 60 minutes for a 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch with 7.5 # of DME, I only get 55 IBU's in my calcs. That leaves you no hops for flavor or aroma. IMHO, use a clean bittering hop like a warrior or magnum for your bittering and save your low aa hops for flavor and aroma, which is Mosher's point, IIRC. I haven't read that book in a while.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
IMHO, use a clean bittering hop like a warrior or magnum for your bittering and save your low aa hops for flavor and aroma, which is Mosher's point, IIRC. I haven't read that book in a while.
I think you've missed the point with Mosher. In the part I cited earlier he says, "My personal opinion is that there are few legitimate homebrew uses for high-alpha hops... I usually stay away from them, although I perversely enjoy them as aroma hops in American-style IPAs." What I'm trying to do is pull off a full, yet balanced, hoppy pale ale. This is how I came up with my original 79 IBU, I was thinking three additions using pellet hops for the aroma, which seems to make a big difference in the numbers:

1st addition: Golding whole (60 mins)
2oz. X 5AAU X 23% X 15.8 = 36.34 IBU

2nd addition: Golding whole (60 mins)
2 oz. X 5AAU X 16% X 15.8 = 25.28 IBU

3rd addition: Spalt pellets (5 mins)
2 oz. X 2AAU X 28% X 15.8 = 17.7 IBU

Total 79.32 IBU

please check my math

Quick Reply