The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to make beer clearer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
andrewdell19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to make beer clearer

I brew GF beer:

So I have noticed that when I add gelatin to the secondary (1 tbsp gelatin 1 cup of water) it helps the beer become much clearer (and takes some of that sorghum taste out). When the beer is cloudy I assume that it still has the sorghum proteins suspended in the beer and when I add the gelatin it takes the suspended proteins out (creates almost a net).

When I do not add the gelatin, the beer does not get clear and has that sorghum taste to it.

So on my most recent batch, I put the gelatin in and waited a few days (usually that is all it takes) and nothing- did not help at all. So I did it again last Friday and only the bottom 1/4 of the carboy is clearer. Weird! Usually it works on the first try.

It has also been at 46 degrees for about a week (cold crashing) and that did not help. Should I go at a lower temp?

What do you guys do to make the beer clear? Any suggestions? When do you add the polyclar (or whatever it is called). Any help would be great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Cold crash at near freezing. Temp should be somewhere between 34F & 36F ideally.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
andrewdell19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
Cold crash at near freezing. Temp should be somewhere between 34F & 36F ideally.
Ok I will turn down the temp tonight! Thanks

Quick Reply