The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long will yeast cake last...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How long will yeast cake last...

I used a pack of German Ale yeast for two batches of beer. When I racked the second batch to the primary I dumped it, but thought to myself that it was kind of a waste of good yeast. Is there any way to store it for awhile until I have a new batch to dump it on?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, you could always wash the yeast to use later. I have used some that was 2 months in the refrigerator. If you mean in the fermentor then I would not leave it for more than a week and that would be storing it cold.

Gary

Old 01-19-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
I used a pack of German Ale yeast for two batches of beer. When I racked the second batch to the primary I dumped it, but thought to myself that it was kind of a waste of good yeast. Is there any way to store it for awhile until I have a new batch to dump it on?
Yeast Harvesting And Freezing

Old 01-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
javedian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

How long will yeast slurry from primary keep in fridge in a jar (without going through multiple washes / glycerine / freezing)? I am brewing a batch tomorrow as a big starter for a high OG brew, and want to pull some out to do an IPA afterwards, but don't want to use the yeast from a high gravity brew. Will a quart keep for a few weeks (2-4) without much fuss? Or how much fuss do I need to do? I don't want long term banking, as I have brewers ADD, and want to move to other styles. I am happy with 3 batches off a vial for now. WLP001 is not too hard to find. I just want to keep a big amount as a starter for later, while pitching the big brew on the remaining cake.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by javedian
How long will yeast slurry from primary keep in fridge in a jar (without going through multiple washes / glycerine / freezing)? I am brewing a batch tomorrow as a big starter for a high OG brew, and want to pull some out to do an IPA afterwards, but don't want to use the yeast from a high gravity brew. Will a quart keep for a few weeks (2-4) without much fuss? Or how much fuss do I need to do? I don't want long term banking, as I have brewers ADD, and want to move to other styles. I am happy with 3 batches off a vial for now. WLP001 is not too hard to find. I just want to keep a big amount as a starter for later, while pitching the big brew on the remaining cake.
A month or two is good as long as your sanation is good also. Keep it in a jar that was sanatized and cover the top with a sanatized peice of tinfoil, and keep refrigerated cold.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by javedian
Will a quart keep for a few weeks (2-4) without much fuss?
I think that 2 weeks is pushing it, but it should work. I have used yeast that was about 2 weeks old for a lager and wasn't really happy with the fermentation. I should have pitched more since the viability seemed a lot less after 2 weeks.

Kai

Old 01-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sterrock Hammerson 8
Thats not bad, I just bring in some of the yeast cake into my lab, streak it out on some YPD plates, pick a colony, grow up in liquid YPD and make glycerol freezedowns and keep them in a -80*C freezer. Whenever I need them, I start up a 5mL liquid culture in YPD, transfer that to 50mL after a day or two, then up to a 1L for overnight growth on a shaker at 30*C. Spin down the liter in a centrifuge, resuspend the pellet in about 50mL of the spent YPD, and dump that into my cooled wort...

trying to build up a library of yeast strains, I have brewed 3 batches, now have 3 yeast strains frozen down. Guy I work with has several he has isolated from bottles.

Then again, most people don't work in labs...

Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13
Thats not bad, I just bring in some of the yeast cake into my lab, streak it out on some YPD plates, pick a colony, grow up in liquid YPD and make glycerol freezedowns and keep them in a -80*C freezer. Whenever I need them, I start up a 5mL liquid culture in YPD, transfer that to 50mL after a day or two, then up to a 1L for overnight growth on a shaker at 30*C. Spin down the liter in a centrifuge, resuspend the pellet in about 50mL of the spent YPD, and dump that into my cooled wort...

trying to build up a library of yeast strains, I have brewed 3 batches, now have 3 yeast strains frozen down. Guy I work with has several he has isolated from bottles.

Then again, most people don't work in labs...
Wow - that's pretty impressive. What do you do for a living?

Old 01-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
brmdavis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ13

Ya, thats what i do too...wait, i mean i buy a $.90 pack of dry yeast and dump it in

Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Wow - that's pretty impressive. What do you do for a living?
I am a grad student and work in a research lab at a university, fortunately, there is a yeast lab next door and I "borrow" reagents from them, they are cool with it as long as I give them beer.

Quick Reply