Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long is it viable

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long is it viable

How long is a yeast cake sitting like this viable for repitching onto? Its got a thin layer of beer on it. If I were to put it in a bottle and fridge it would it last longer? I have the stuff for my next beer coming it will be 3-5 days I'd like to just pitch onto this yeast cake if possible. I don't have the stuff to wash it at the moment. Any chance this could still be used then?

yeast-cake.jpg  

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would have not racked prior to the new ingredients arriving.

I have never kept a cake uncovered (I know you have a little beer on there, but there is a lot of air too) for more than a few hours, although I think the fridge and keeping it sterile should help.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The Brown Ale I took off it had been there more then two weeks and I don't have anything to drink right now so I wanted to get it moving. Guess I'll just chuck it and move on.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead

Old 09-06-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I used to keep yeast on water in a sealed, sanitized glass jar in the fridge for about 1 month, then use it with no ill-effects. I gave up on the yeast harvesting practice cause fresh yeast (only a single strain) is only about $6.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 950 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yeah, next time get a mason jar all sanitized before you rack the batch off. When you get to the bottom, swirl the crap out of the carboy to loosen up the cake and continue racking that (or pump it via the autosiphon) to fill your mason jar. It should keep in the jar in the fridge for direct pitching for at least a month. Longer than that and you would want to recharge it with a starter.

avid.. $6 is a really high percentage of the cost of a 5 gallon all grain batch IMHO.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

avid.. $6 is a really high percentage of the cost of a 5 gallon all grain batch IMHO.
Agreed, I have some sanitizer ready I'll have to see if I have a jar of some kind.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty

Quick Reply