Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How long to primary a bock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
rich8932
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long to primary a bock?

Eight days ago I brewed a bock and didn't get an OG (long story). My local brew store suggested leaving it in primary for 7-10 days. Do I transfer at 7-10 days without really knowing where ferm is at? Or do I wait until the hydrometer reading is unchanged after several days before I give it d-rest in primary, then rack and lager around 40 for another month? Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
volstag
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since a Bock is a Lager the yeast work a bit slower. I would leave it in primary for a bit longer 14 days minimum, but the only way to tell would be to measure the SG. If it is close to the target FG, then D-Rest and transfer it to secondary for lagering.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Never, ever, transfer off primary until the gravity is constant. Your yeast will still be in there and they will still be active even if you do, but you risk slowing the fermentation or possibly stalling it completely.

For what it's worth - In my experience my own lagers need about 3 weeks at 50F.

So your hunch was right! The rest of your plan sounds solid. Just be patient with lagers, that's my only other advice. It's a different animal.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 02-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Recently did my first dopple bock and the process I used was fermenting at 48º till I was 2/3rds to my estimated FG (something you won't be able to figure out with no OG..sorry). This was about 2 weeks. At that point I raised to 60º for a diacetyl rest for 3 days, then lowered 2º-3º/day till I reached laggering temps (~35º) and then transfered to secondary for lagering. All in all I say it was about 4 weeks in primary.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
rich8932
Recipes 

Do you ever have to add yeast again for bottling? I've heard that too long and/or cold of a lager can kill the yeast. Is this true or something to be concerned about?

Quick Reply